Theme with closest resemblance to Garmin GPS?

Started by EmmEff, July 31, 2014, 02:02:26

EmmEff

My phone is mounted on the handlebars of my motorcycle and I view it from ~50cm away. I need a theme where the roads and labels are suitable for at-a-glance viewing, so this means the roads are "thicker" and more visible at 600m to 2km scale.

I know it's a bad word around these parts, but OsmAnd's default theme is nearly spot on. Anybody created something similar for Locus?

edit by mod
(add his OsmAnd(!) screenshot from help.locusmap.eu )

•  

jusc

@EmmEff
For better understanding, can you please post a link or a screenshot of your Garmin GPS display?

edit
Because you didn´t answer, nobody knows what you mean.
But have a look here:
Can you  try this?

Regards J.
  •  

popej

Actually Garmin uses skins (TYP files) and themes too. There is no one defined view of Garmin map. I think that as kind of standard could be used default themes for City Navigator maps, see pictures below in this article:
http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page16.htm#themes
popej
  •  

jusc

@popej,

thanks, that is what I thought about Garmin maps look like too.
The screenshot in first post added by mod differs to much from Garmin I think ( and where are very much bus stops  ;D )
Regards J.
  •  

EmmEff

Sorry I didn't turn off the POIs in the first screenshot.

I realize that Locus was developed primarily for hiking/cycling, but it works almost equally as well on a motorcycle or in a car. I'd like to see a more automotive/motorcycle theme where roads are thicker and easier to see at-a-glance instead of where you have the phone in your hand and can study the screen.
  •  

gynta

EmmEff

This looks better. Can we make the outline of the roads less strong (1px less, perhaps)? The way it is makes it impossible to see the road labels.

Also, not sure if it's the theme or not, but the map is displayed anti-aliased or something. The roads aren't clearly defined.

Thanks,

Mike.

•  

EmmEff

Quote from: popej on August 01, 2014, 15:19:40
Actually Garmin uses skins (TYP files) and themes too. There is no one defined view of Garmin map. I think that as kind of standard could be used default themes for City Navigator maps, see pictures below in this article:
http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page16.htm#themes

Thanks for posting that. I'd love to see a default "driving" theme for Locus Pro that resembled what Garmin displays.
  •  

jusc

I don´t know any default "Garmin look a like theme". But with Locus store maps you can try internal street theme the right screenshot. Which maps do you use?
I changed a bit the V-Scale2-Pure, see attachment.

The pictures are shown with maps from OpenAndroMaps

Against antialiasing I can´t do anything, or I don´t know what to do.
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: EmmEff on August 02, 2014, 02:04:03I'd love to see a default "driving" theme
Well, so give us a chance to see what you really want. popejs link show us a lot of screenshots.
What means default "driving" theme?

means this one??

Dave Welsh

jusc and gynta.

I just got the new xml.
I think you are getting very close to what the orginal poster was looking for.

I am going to give this a try for a few days and let you know how it is working.

Thanks

Dave
  •