i can't get rid of tracks -- need help!

Started by mike savad, May 28, 2014, 14:53:54

mike savad

everything was working fine the other day. i downloaded new maps from mapforge. they were all bad apparently. the system erased the maps - which was annoying but fine.

i went to erase my old tracks, like i do every day. they are gone. i erased them from the card - totally gone. i made a new track folder.

reset the device, load up locus, and the tracks are back, everything loaded from a previous state, and any tracks i made before the reset are totally gone.

i tried erasing the cache, any auto backups, anything where i thought that previous state was stored. i haven't found where it's stored. why won't this remember the tracks like before?

any ideas? i wrote to tech support, but i know they take a while to respond and i don't have that much time left.

thanks

---Mike Savad
  •  

berkley

Official Locus support is pretty fast. Please compare to other software companies.

Anyway, you should check, if there are 2 directories called "Locus". One on internal memory and one on external memory.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

mike savad

the one in the local memory, where is that? i found it once, but then lost it again somewhere along the line.

---Mike Savad
  •  

berkley

You don't need to say thanks for the fast answer, btw.

Locus Version?
Android Version?
Custom ROM, yes no?
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Hello Mike and Berkley,

except what Berkley wrote, I think there is no need for panic and for spamming our support email.

Anyway back to topic.

You wrote you do a lot of things, but to help you, we need more information. Firstly, information Berkley asks. And also:

1. Locus never delete any map files even if they are incorrect. I suggest to precisely check, if maps you downloaded are correctly downloaded. At least that size fits!

2. How you delete tracks? What means permanently? Please write step by step.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mike savad

Locus Version? -> 2.20.2 i think
Android Version? -> 4.3
Custom ROM, yes no?  ->no.

i never erased the map files - the program did. 3 times. they were corrupt, and it seems to have erased them
tracks - i download them from the phone normally. when i get back into the phone, they are always still there. i erased them internally in the program by selecting them and erasing it.
reload, all files are back even the ones i erased in the pc.

edit
i'm playing with making backups -- it's like the unit is in read only mode. it's not recording anything at all. while it looks like it was saved, when i do a reset, all of that is gone, as if i never made it at all, no backups, tracks or anything. is there some kind of protection mode? it only started with those bad maps - something about magic bytes.
  •  

berkley

Is this a Locus Free or a Locus Pro version?

I am pretty sure you messed up something yourself. Locus doesn't delete map files!  ::)
Even maps from mapsforge won't get deleted!!!  8)

What you are doing now:
- Open Locus, hit "menu", scroll down until you see "Information", click it.
- Tell us the complete path to your Locus directory, should be something like: "storage/emulated/0/Locus".
- Close Locus.
- Use a file browser to navigate to exactly that directory.
- Rename the directory to something like "Locus_DO_NOT_USE".
- Restart Locus.
- Hit "Menu", croll down until you see "Information", click it.
- Tell us the complete path to your Locus directory, should be something like: "storage/emulated/0/Locus".

Yes. Last two points are the same as first two points. But after you renamed the current working directory, Locus looks for other "Locus directories" on the device. If not, it creates a fresh one.

Menion, this should go to FAQs.
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

mike savad

free version
i didn't do anything more than copy over the old map files with new files that may have had issues.
right now the directory is storage/extSdCard/Locus
ok it's renamed, i'm trying a new track, i'll reset the device totally to see if everything is back or not
resetting right now.

---Mike Savad
  •  

voldapet

Hello Mike,

In the beginning I have to say that maps you downloaded are not created by Locus team and we are not responsible for their functionality. I suggest to download official Locus offline map.https://asammsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200023942-Offline-maps-get-Locus-vector-maps

However Locus should handle these maps. So there are two possible reasons:
1. The map file was NOT downloaded properly. Try to download it again
2. Your SD card is broken!

•  

mike savad

nope, there must be another directory at work here restoring things. i reset the device, after what you asked me to do, i saved a new track, reset the phone, and the old track from the other day is back again - even though i restored a copy from a few months ago and changed the directory.

is there another one on the phone, is there a way to change that? i don't want to erase locus and install again, it took me a long time to tweak the settings to how i like them.

also the maps always worked in the past, but right now the old maps are ok, locus is in some kind of fanatical protection mode. i think the card is ok, i took it out and ran a check. but i don't know if there is other software i can try. i'm wondering if it's a directory corruption, but due to the os i have no way to check it. that i know of.

---Mike Savad
  •  

berkley

How I hate it to quote myself...
Quote from: berkley on May 28, 2014, 16:15:42
What you are doing now:
- Open Locus, hit "menu", scroll down until you see "Information", click it.
- Close Locus.
- Use a file browser to navigate to exactly that directory.
- Rename the directory to something like "Locus_DO_NOT_USE".
- Restart Locus.
- Hit "Menu", croll down until you see "Information", click it.

I never asked for doing anything than stated above. No track recording, no factory reset. Nothing. Just some simple steps.

Sorry, my free time ran out. Support continues tomorrow evening.

Btw, Locus Pro has an excellent built-in backup manager.
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

mike savad

yes i did all those things. and they looked fine until i reset the device.

look, i'm not an idiot, i do know what i'm doing. every night i turn off the phone, so i would be doing this on the trip as well. i renamed all those things. and yes, it created everything. but no--

IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL

some place on that phone exists an entirely different directory that is holding this information. i don't know if it's some hidden directory on the phone i can't see, i would like it fixed though. the back up is so great, its replacing my last session and resetting the card to the way it was each time it loads up. even that directory you told me to put in - gone. it erased itself.

now i don't know if it's locus or something else doing that. but since i had the error in that program i have to isolate it to that. i have nothing in the phone that would make those changes that i know of.

http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/north-america/us/ those are the maps. the locus maps are out of date by 2 years. i can't use those. and i can't use it online either.

i'm leaving very soon to this trip. i was depending on the software working and it isn't i really can't wait till tomorrow, i have other things i need to do.

---Mike Savad

---Mike Savad
  •  

berkley

Quote from: mike savad on May 28, 2014, 16:51:13
yes i did all those things. and they looked fine until i reset the device.

look, i'm not an idiot, i do know what i'm doing. every night i turn off the phone, so i would be doing this on the trip as well. i renamed all those things. and yes, it created everything. but no--

IT DIDN'T HELP AT ALL
No, you didn't!

Quote from: mike savad on May 28, 2014, 16:51:13
have other things i need to do.
So do I!

Gynta, mogst du di net mit am Freibiergsicht bschäftiga?
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

mike savad

i don't know why your yelling at me i really have no idea what's going wrong here, or if it's just a coincidence that your program got involved.
but maybe you have other answers. what would cause a card to revert itself when you reset? i tried making a directory, reset and it was gone again, it may not be locus at all, but i don't  know what it is now. i'm looking over TSR's.

edit
and are we saying that if i paid for the program you would be more open to helping?
swell.

edit
though i got the terminology wrong i meant restart - not reset. i switched it with computer lino.

---Mike Savad
  •  

Menion

Mike,

excuse me, but I do not understand.

Four people is trying to help you with your problem. We never saw such weird issue so we just guess what it may cause. Peter and Berkley asked you a few questions, but I still do not see useful response.

I'll give you few important facts.

1. If Locus create duplicate directory, you should be notified about it at start. If you do not see error screen, then Locus use only one directory. Or you may check menu > information > first tab as Berkley wrote.

2. If you change something, then you close Locus with 'back' button and then wait at least 5 seconds, then after return back, all you changed is back, then it's definitely something with your card. Anyway question is what you change.

You wrote you remove track from map. And I ask : what exactly, step by step, you do, to remove this track. Btw. where this track comes from? It's from internal folder ( menu > data > tracks ) or some external file stored in mapItems directory ( and loaded with menu > data > items )?

If you should create short video, it should be best!

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •