Waypoint calculations in multi-cache

Started by Masterijn, April 08, 2014, 09:39:20

Masterijn

In multicaches some waypoints usually contain variables, which should be replaced by some answers. For example: N°(G*H+I).(E/G).(A-(D*C)) E°(J-H).(J/2+I).(K*B+F)
What i would like is that these waypoint can be added to the cache in that form.
After that Locus extracts the variables, and makes a nice variable list.
For each variable in this list the user can enter the value / answer,
After that Locus automatically calculates the right coordinates for the parameterized waypoints.

I know quite hard to devellop, but this would be really cool feature. In the whole android store I couldn't find such an app.
  •  

mambofive

You can use "GCC" (GeoCache Calculator) by "Eisbehr" for this.
It contains - amoung hundrets of other useful  8) geocaching tools - a "Formel Rechner" which should do what you are looking for.

IMHO this is too special to be integrated in Locus...
  •  

Masterijn

At the moment I do use GCC (nice btw.), but here the user has to split the parameterized waypoint in subformulas. Also the variables are not extracted, but static, and the user must decide where to put the results of the subformulas: A lot swapping between different apps and finally Locus. Many parameterized waypoints mean many formulas and subformulas. I would like prepare the caching trip at home so, that in the field only a quick edit of a value is needed to continue the walk. Its quite hard to mobilize the children again after dad has been busy with GCC.

edit
I visited the GCC website and saw that more complex syntax is possible so less formulas are needed. However a tight parameterized waypoint integration within Locus would still be better :). The user still has to type over the coordinates and thus app-swap a lot.
  •  

Menion

I agree in this case with mambofive. Sorry, but such task is really complex and even that I'm a fan of geoaching, there are a lot more important task to do, then some special solving tasks for geoaching, mainly when such nice tool like GCC exists.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Masterijn

For those who are interested, I found a way to copy 'n paste formula data from GCC to a Locus waypoint. Galaxy Note 3 users can use Samsungs scrapbook (plakboek) app, which extract also textual data. From the scrapbook the coordinates can then be copied.
  •  

mambofive

Do you know cachelab.net? I just found this app/site some days ago, very useful and easier to use than GCC formula editor. It's not yet able to 'speak' to Locus, but the developer is aware of Locus.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

•  

Masterijn

While my searched continued I also came across Cachelab, but I only took a small glance. Now I took a better look, and indeed they've done a neat job!
Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to implement a multicache, but when it's done at home it takes only a little time in the field. Some basic integration with mapping software (google map url) or some preloading from geocaching.com would be nice. Also I don't understand why they use a strange coordinate output. I know a : is easier to type for input but in the output one could still use a degree symbol, better for copy and pasting!

edit
Locus addon solver seams like a more ideal solution. Cachelab supports sharing, which would be great in a local user community.
  •