Course Bearing Display - True or Magnetic?

Started by Bob Denny, March 25, 2014, 02:03:11

Bob Denny

I always run with Settings, Sensors, Orientation, Use true bearing set to OFF (unchecked), for magnetic bearings etc, as we are using this for aviation. I think that the course on the Course Bearing Line is still in true and not in magnetic.

By the way, the course bearing line is the single most useful tool in Locus, at least for us! I will find a location, center it, then tell my pilot the course and distance ("turn right heading 230, we are 12 miles from xxxxx"). I have been subtracting the 12 degree variation to get it right.
  •  

Menion

Hello Bob,

may you please post a screen where is visible where is incorrect angle? Because we spend with Peter on this almost an hour and found one issue in Compass screen during guiding, when arrow pointing on point was moved about declination on incorrect direction, but rest seems to be OK.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bob Denny

I will run tests today. I am not 100% sure on this and really I should have done a controlled test before writing, I am sorry...
  •  

Bob Denny

You are right. A simple test shows the course bearing line is in magnetic direction.  Oops. It's good 

-- Bob (on Tapatalk - no threading,  sorry)

•  

Menion

good to hear. Anyway because we live in area where declination is almost zero, it's quite hard to test it in the field. So if you find any problem with it, I'll gladly fix it!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bob Denny

Thanks, the declination is -11 here and it is looking good on the course bearing for magnetic. This is what we need.
  •