Altitude in exported KMZ

Started by Bob Denny, March 22, 2014, 19:11:01

Bob Denny

I imported some simple waypoints from KMZ. These waypoints do not have any <description> at all. They show OK including linking to the style and icon etc.

These waypoints have no altitude info - just longitude,latitude in <coordinates>. So I edit these in Locus and Fill Altitude. This works OK. Now the waypoints show their altitude when their box pops up under the X.

Now I export these to back KMZ (without asking to insert the formatted description). The exported KMZ does not have the altitude in <coordinates>. Remember, Description is empty from no <description> in the imported KML. The filled altitude is indeed a permanent part of the waypoint as exiting and restarting Locus shows the filled altitude is still there in its internal data for that waypoint.

If I include the formatted description option in the export, then it puts some HTML into a new <description> element added to the KML. Within this HTML is the altitude.

I believe the altitude, if available (!), should be exported as the third part of the <coordinates> element, and it must be in meters.
  •  

Menion

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bob Denny

OMG that was fast. Will test today and let you know. This will be a big help for what we do here. Altitude of waypoints is critical for helicopter ops :-)
  •  

Bob Denny

Oh, this is Locus Free, and I have Pro. I am working in the heli tomorrow and definitely need the Pro features, so I will wait for the Pro release this coming week. Thank you again!!!
  •  

gynta

Menion

as Gynta wrote. These test versions are installed as Locus Free, but work as Locus Pro. Version should be quite stable, but if you do not want to risk, rather do not use these test versions during some work.
  •  

Bob Denny

OK I installed Free and transferred settings from Pro to Free... what else is "separate" and what is "shared"? I hope that only the settings need be copied from one to the other and that they share everything else in the Locus folder tree?
  •  

gynta

for me is backup all - and - restore all the best choice in this case

Bob Denny

•  

Menion

I think "Backup all" is not needed. Because "Backup all" backup private preferences + some (a lot) data from Locus shared directory. So if you do "Backup only settings", then it's more then enough to transfer everything from one version to another.
  •  

gynta

you know how often i missing some stuff.
so - no risk  :)
and as i wrote: "for me is b..."

Menion

understand. With b), you cannot go wrong ;)
  •  

Bob Denny

OK, tested and verified... the altitude is now being exported to KML/KMZ as the 3rd value in <coordinates>. This is perfect. Now I do not need the "insert formatted description", and better, I can put other things there.

THANK YOU!
  •