Minor UI improvement ideas

Started by szebenyib, February 26, 2014, 21:29:34

szebenyib

Hi!

1, in my opinion the track screen has got a problem: the two buttons on the bottom are difficult to differentiate, see the two attachments below.
screwdriver -> I think something related to settings (see e.g. KDE: http://linuxlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mandriva-2010-2-5.jpg)
cog -> I think something related to settings (see e.g. Mac: http://www.albates.com/data/uploads/ideas/purdy-osx-preferences-icon.jpg)
So basically the same! I don't know why the options inside them are differentiated since they are some kind of settings related to the track. I usually forget which one is which one and click on the other. Can we merge them (the two menus) together into one button?

2, This is just to think about it, if you happen to touch it sometime in the future: the GPS button in the main screen. Short press: opens GPS screen, long press: GPS menu, which includes: turn off, settings, information. The main problem is that it takes two clicks to turn on or off the GPS. This might be a design intent, but somehow I feel that this can be implemented better.
Short press: gps screen, long press: gps on or off.
Information option is not really useful, it tells only something that is in my settings that can be checked by scrolling through gps related options in the settings. The change menuitem is unavoidable now I believe, so I don't know how it could be made better (only if it is fixed there in that position that no user can change, but I would not change it that way since Locus is flexible that is the best in it)

3, GPS screen itself. If you tap the circle: turns on/off GPS. If you tap the button in the bottom, it turns on/off GPS -> duplicate function! However I'm missing one featture here: Locus is able to download A-GPS data, and it would be nice to be able to force download to redownload it "reset a-gps data". Can we change either the button or the circle to this? Or is it possible to add it to the menu of the screen below "manual"?

Any feedback is welcome :)
  •  

jusc

Regards J.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
1) whole screen will change in near future, bottom buttons as well

2) if you find a way how to simply change button even without context menu, I can cache it's behaviour.

3) there was firstly only bottom button, few months ago I added ability to tap on skyplot and keep bottom button, so users won't be scary where it is. Later, bottom button will be removed.

About "Reset A-GPS data" - sorry, I do not see in this button big usage. Generally it should not be needed at all, because Android should handle it correctly without any users actions
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

I would like to see to a simpler method to switch on/off compass.
Typically I have the need to switch on/off GPS and compass at the same time.
  •  

szebenyib

Quote from: menion on February 27, 2014, 07:50:33
1, 2, 3, A-GPS
Hi,
1) no problem then :)

2) I don't understand sorry. So it is technically not possible?

3) understand, ok

A-GPS: but even you have a function to reset/download it implemented. I use one separate app for this (GPS Status is the name), so if the phone is not getting a gps fix I can assure that it tries to obtain one with the newest A-GPS data. (I don't really trust android :S) But if I could get rid of the separate app it would be great. Locus already has this functionality - I just haven't noticed it - and it would be nice to see it in the dropdown menu at the bottom for faster access. For example even system settings is there although one can access that via the system pull down menu from the status bar, that's why I have thought that there is still space for that and easy to implement.
  •  

Menion

2) no, no technical problem. When you long click on this button, you get except few other buttons, also button that allows to change! GPS button to some other. And I currently do not know about other way how to change it, then this.

Access to "Reset A-GPS" is even in Locus quite fast I think - in GPS screen it's in menu > GPS settings > reset

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced so I do not see this feature as too useful for common usage
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

szebenyib

What if there is a possibility to set those icons in the settings menu? That way you don't have to provide a change functionality in menu. To change the buttons one would go into Settings -> Map - control & panels > Buttons at top panel. The popup would change, it would not ask for a number but it would be a screen similar to the one I attached (screenshot from colornote).
So in the screen one would see the buttons currently added to the panel plus an option to add an additional item (one option is enough, no need for two like in screenshot).
- Any added item means that it is visible and in that order that we see. If one drags the left part of an item it can be rearranged. If one hits the right part (there shoudl be an icon with an 'x' or something similar) the item can be removed from the list.
- The 'add item' button would open a popup from which the user can choose which items to include in the top panel. It would be added to the end of the queue.
- The 'add item' button would be greyed out if no buttons could fit in the top panel.

A-GPS: accepted, no problem :), you are the dev :)
  •  

Bucky Kid

If we're talking about small UI improvements, I'd add my vote to quick GPS on/off switch on 1-click as described by szebenyib ;)
And I'd add my two cents here - In track edit mode when left side bar is active, I'd like to enhance the up/down arrow buttons by long press functionality for jumping to first/last point of the track, and in the tool button menu in track manager I'd like to have a command for reversing the track direction. I don't know however if this wouldnot introduce some problems with cutting some information from current track. Just an idea for minor improvement ;)
  •