[Q] call an app from within Locus to prevent Locus from closing

Started by Christian, February 09, 2014, 11:09:11

Christian

Hi guys,
another question from a beginner:
sometimes when i use Locus (not as an service) i would like to take a photo. So i press the home-button, go to the home-screen, starting the camera app. After closing the camera app i have to start Locus again. Most of the time Locus continues in the background (gps icon is active in status bar), somtimes Locus is shut down by itself :( but not shut down actively!
How to prevent Locus from shut down? Starting an app from within Locus?
When mountainbiking Locus is all about. Fiddling with gloves is frustrating especially when apps are closed or hidden unespected.
How do you handle this?
Thanx,
Christian

*i know there are special gloves or special wires for sewing into the gloves...
  •  

Bucky Kid

I would say that's the option Run Locus as service is there for.
There are also applications for locking processes in memory so that they won't be killed in the background.
  •  

Menion

Hmm quite a surprise, because taking photo from Locus has also own mechanism, that should prevent this.

Anyway "Locus as a service" settings, should be best solution on such problems
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: Christian on February 09, 2014, 11:09:11...when i use Locus (not as an service) i would like to take a photo. So i press the home-button, go to the home-screen, starting the camera app. After closing the camera app i have to start Locus again...
hmm strange
After long press "home" you should find Locus again as an running task.

hint:
You can "modify" your right panel and add the "camera" with "add link to app".

Bob Denny

Maybe you can say why not run Locus as service? It is possible that you have a concern that is not really a concern? It is wonderful to continue to create a track while the device is in your pocket or backpack.
  •  

Christian

Thanx guys.
I will try Locus as a service. I put the camera icon in the right panel also. Thanx gynta.
If anyone knows why Locus is sometimes shut down ...let me pls. know.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: Christian on February 09, 2014, 16:56:01
Thanx guys.
I will try Locus as a service. I put the camera icon in the right panel also. Thanx gynta.
If anyone knows why Locus is sometimes shut down ...let me pls. know.
The reason why Locus is shut down is called LMK Low Memory Killer. Running Locus as a service puts it in a higher priority class of apps which will only be killed in case memory goes very low.
  •  

Christian

Locus is killed even when its the only app running ? On Galaxy Note with its huge internal memory?? Really?
  •  

Menion

It also happen to Peter with Galaxy Nexus. It's has similar RAM as Note. "Locus as a service" helps, but it's weird. Seems to depend on some internal specification of Android, how aggresive it should be ...
  •  

Christian

Thank you for explanation.

edit
quick feedback: after two days of testing camera icon and Locus as a service works absolutely fine for me.
:)
  •  

Menion

good to hear. Thanks for testing and confirmation, that such combination works ...
  •