Using WiFi or GSM positioning services

Started by Tarantin, December 19, 2013, 23:36:40

Tarantin

Hello,

I am finding your app great and my plans are to replace google maps by yours.
But the main drawback for Locus is that by default it don't uses positioning services other than the GPS. (gsm, wifi...) like other apps do with a pretty acceptable accuracy.

For example : I want to make me an idea of how long I will have to travel from where I am (my office) to my final destination. As the default starting point is GPS and I don't have GPS enabled, I have to enter manually the address each time I make the search.

I am missing a setting our should it be a feature proposal?

Regards
  •  

prawns

I would prefer it defaults to GPS personally as otherwise it won't work at all for me (I use locus nowhere near wifi or cell tower signals quite alot, it's a safety issue I reckon if it doesn't for users like me)

Why don't you just change the existing Locus options so it won't use GPS at all? Or your saying it won't remember those settings each time you load locus?

If I turn my phones GPS off when in range of phone towers - locus still seems to be able to locate me, I assume using wifi etc? as the circle around my position changes colour (perhaps its just using the last known GPs co-oridinate - now I am curious lols)

berkley

Quote from: prawns on December 20, 2013, 05:59:53
Why don't you just change the existing Locus options so it won't use GPS at all? Or your saying it won't remember those settings each time you load locus?
Most likely there won't be a good GPS signal in his office?

For calculation options you might want to look at the "get location dialog":
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:coordinates_part#get_location_dialog
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Hello Tarantin,
  I'm sure Locus use locations from wi-fi etc. Anyway you still need to "enable GPS" in Locus itself http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200039252-GPS-screen

If you tap on bottom left center button on map screen, you should be moved to your current location. If you see only red cross, it means that a) GPS in Locus is not on or b) Locus do not know any location. If you see green circle, Locus display location from wi-fi, bts. etc, if you see blue circle, Locus display location from hardware GPS itself
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tarantin

Hello, and thank you for your replies.

In fact I am switching "on demand" my gps from the global android (top) menu to save battery. (I can't rely on Locus GPS "auto off" feature because other background application are potentially using GPS signal). The "Activate GPS on startup" option is set to "always on" on locus, so no problem at this side.

An example : For my work I am traveling all over my region. At the end of my workday, I am using gps, to go home. When I am arrived at home, the location is OK on Locus, and I switch off my GPS.

The next day I have to go to my office. Of course for this I don't have to use my GPS. (I don't enable it at android level). Then from my office I make a new address search on locus, just to look how far my destination is. But when I hit the bottom left corner of Locus, I am still located at my home (the last known position given by my GPS the day before). So I have to enter manually the starting point.

Despite this, if I take a look on google maps, or my meteo widget, my location is set up correctly at my work (thanks to GPS and WiFi positionning). This means that Locus is not updating it's position when GPS is system off, unlike any other application.

Maybe I am missing something. (Again, gps is always "enabled" on Locus) Have you an Idea?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  nice description!

I'm testing and unfortunately I don't see any place for an issue.

When you start Locus, do you see a green circle on a place of last know wi-fi/bts location?

Mainly because you use "always on" in Locus, all should work correctly, weird.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Locus for sure has wifi/cell tower positioning but:

1. It takes some time
2. Occasionally I have to "kick" it by switching Wifi off and on again.

I do not know how many Wifi poins or cell towers Locus needs for this and how many are available at your office?
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on December 20, 2013, 13:50:11
If you see green circle, Locus display location from wi-fi, bts. etc, if you see blue circle, Locus display location from hardware GPS itself

I see a red circle at my correct location in my house where I cannot get a GPS fix and no mobile network.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Menion

and what is a red circle? If you see this, you have to use some custom own cursors, because in default Locus is not such icon :).

Anyway as Henk wrote, it sometimes takes a while. From my experience, wi-fi/BTS location is usually reported once per minute! so if you enable Locus, turn on GPS (location) in Locus, but in system, you have enabled only "Acquire location over wi-fi/network", it should take up to minute, till Locus get valid location. May you check this Tarantin? Interesting is, that Google maps has is sooner (almost immediately).
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: menion on December 23, 2013, 10:10:21
and what is a red circle? If you see this, you have to use some custom own cursors, because in default Locus is not such icon :).

I have this red circle without mobile network, GPS on but no fix and WiFi connected to my home network, so I assume Locus uses in this case the Google location services (they exactly know where I live).
If I disable these Google location services then I see no circle.

Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

Tarantin

Hello,

The location is now working for me.
In fact the problem is when you want to get directions, and when the starting point is set to "GPS":
The route is not computed until a valid GPS signal is received.

I think the "starting from GPS position" option should be replaced with a more generic option "my actual location" who takes in consideration the GSM / WiFi positioning (eventually with something like a warning dialog if GPS switch is Off).

If I am right, it could be a good enhancement proposal.
  •