Started by Menion, September 03, 2013, 12:47:55

tommi

Quote from: Joachim Buhl on November 24, 2013, 09:24:51
Hi you navigation guys
Hi Joachim,
Actually I would call you the same.
Quote from: Joachim Buhl
Good:
- orientation without snap to track and with moving map is like it should be. Very good for mountainbiking
I think it is helpful in all situations where the planned route does not match exactly with the currently measured location, just yesterday in deep forest I found it  helpful during a hike.

- Off the track behavior is strange. It chooses the wrong point to come back to the track
Wrong point?

To my knowledge and also my experience the point with the shortest straight line distance to your current measured position is taken. If you continue to deviate from the planned track, a different point later on the track might be selected - depending on the straight line distance between you and the track.

I could imagine you'd like to go back to the track where you left it.
Both can be useful, I wouldn't say that anything is wrong here.

Not sure if it could help to remove the tick from
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:settings:guiding / Tracks / Auto-select best point

But maybe I got you wrong, please clarify.
- Route creation with redrawing a track is not very handy.
Not sure what you mean.
I can drag a point in Route and Measure but the two affected route parts are not recalculated. Should be possible to improve that, I guess, which would improve usability of this function greatly.
- automatic rerouting of a track to get notifications (Mapquest or Locus internal engine)
Don't get what you mean.
Thats for now.
Over all I'm very satisfied with the current devolopment and its very nice to see, that with every version we get new functionality and our proposals find the way into the program.
Me too :)
  •  

Joachim Buhl

Hello Tommi
Quote from: tommi
- Off the track behavior is strange. It chooses the wrong point to come back to the track
Wrong point?
See this post: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3488.msg25037#msg25037

---
- Route creation with redrawing a track is not very handy.
Not sure what you mean.
I can drag a point in Route and Measure but the two affected route parts are not recalculated. Should be possible to improve that, I guess, which would improve usability of this function greatly.
No, I mean the only opportunity to get a route with notifications right now is to import a GPX file and than follow this route segment to segment with routing function of Mapquest. It would be nice to simple select the GPX file, click "Create route" and than I have all notifications coming from a "real" routing with mapdata behind that.

---
- automatic rerouting of a track to get notifications (Mapquest or Locus internal engine)
Don't get what you mean.
What I described before.
  •  

tommi

Strange, I never had the  problem with the wrongly never ending off track beep/text.
What is your setting for "Auto select best point"?
  •  

Joachim Buhl

Hello Tommi

Its checked/activated, but...

it only applies, when you are in guiding mode.
If you are in navigation mode, you only get into guiding mode when this is activated in navigation settings (invalid distance).
But in navigation settings there is also a point "out of track" notification. How this setting, the setting of invalid distance and the setting under guiding works together, I don't know.

Thanks

Bye
  •  

tommi

OK, I see that now.
Seems to be new and I don't understand as well.
My last test was with 2.17.1.1 and there it worked as I described.
I think we need advice from the boss.
Menion could you explain these settings?
Thanks
  •  

Menion

hi,
  I'm just thinking about next step with this "navigation" system. On first side, "Navigation generator" now works quite well, so I think about publishing it to next public version. On second side, I'm not sure what to do next, what to improve first etc :)

About "Out of track" notification. I separated these two settings, because when you use navigation and you ride "out of track", so Locus change to "Guiding style", it still works as navigation and it still use notification from navigation settings. When you ride a car, you usually wants to hear notification sooner, so I decided to add these two settings as a separate items. Anyway as I wrote about it, I'm no more 100% sure it's a good idea :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

OK, so it's intentionally separated and independent settings.

But as you may be have read Joachim has the problem that Locus doesn't recognize he returned to track on a later point and continuously beeps. This needs clarification.

I personally would like to see aah hear improved and accurate TTS because this helps both users of navigation with e.g. Mapquest as users appreciating the Locus internal waypoint generator based on any track.
And both methods suffer from inaccurate TTS.
And then all the rest :D
  •  

Joachim Buhl

Hello Menion

I think you can release the navigation generator (nobody gets hurt by it).
Otherwise:

More things to do in order off priority:
- fixing the small issues above (display timeout issue, notification, off track behavior)
- possibility to add manual notifications or to delete some and to modify existing ones (to get not only "turn right" but "turn right after bridge...")

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thanks
  •  

Menion

Oki guys,
  so ...

1) TTS files ... what about updating files stored on Google Docs? It's possible to edit directly text files if you have Google Drive installed on your device and synchronized, or it's possible to edit text files on web.

Recommended: In you Google Docs (http://docs.google.com), tap on "Tools" > "Manage apps" > "Connect more apps" > "Anyfile Notepad"! It allows directly edit these TTS files on web and mainly, has very good JSON syntax highlight and error reports (incorrect syntax)

files are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3W5Lc1CHcKod1pobXlpdHdUYkU&usp=sharing

2) in TTS files is now more distances for more precise notification and I also increased time of report before cross, from 10 to 15 seconds, so we will see if this helps

3) I've updated GUI for "Generate navigation" (previously Navigation generator) feature so it will be in next (maybe tomorrow) version

4) You talked about moving point in "Add new route & measure" feature where this move do not recompute track, but I'm sure it works correctly. Run this feature, start creating route together with "Mapquest compute", add two segments (three points) and then move with middle one

•  

tommi

Quote from: menion on November 27, 2013, 11:19:36
Oki guys,
  so ...

1) TTS files ... what about updating files stored on Google Docs? It's possible to edit directly text files if you have Google Drive installed on your device and synchronized, or it's possible to edit text files on web.

Recommended: In you Google Docs (http://docs.google.com), tap on "Tools" > "Manage apps" > "Connect more apps" > "Anyfile Notepad"! It allows directly edit these TTS files on web and mainly, has very good JSON syntax highlight and error reports (incorrect syntax)

files are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3W5Lc1CHcKod1pobXlpdHdUYkU&usp=sharing
Ahm, if I edit here I would change the file for all users? I use special, very short text strings, so I shouldn't change it for all users.
Quote from: menion
2) in TTS files is now more distances for more precise notification and I also increased time of report before cross, from 10 to 15 seconds, so we will see if this helps
Ok, I see, now we have 1..10, 50, 80, 100, 200, ...
Of course I need to wait for  next Locus version but don't you think more steps between 10 and 50 would be needed?
Will the TTS output fit for walker (ca. 5km/h), biker (15-40km/h), car driver (20-150km/h)?
Edit: Especially for the situation with consecutive instructions the distance for the 2nd one can be any distance e.g. 25m and Locus can only tell "and then after 50m left/right"  :(
3) I've updated GUI for "Generate navigation" (previously Navigation generator) feature so it will be in next (maybe tomorrow) version
Fine, very much appreciated
4) You talked about moving point in "Add new route & measure" feature where this move do not recompute track, but I'm sure it works correctly. Run this feature, start creating route together with "Mapquest compute", add two segments (three points) and then move with middle one
Strange, I tried before I wrote this and it didn't work (I also somehow expected it wouldn't work). Now I tried again and it worked but... not always, maybe 3 out of 4 times. Sometimes the bubble with text doesn't pop up and also no new route is calculated. Sorry for poor description.
Is there any timeout for the time the finger is touching the display? I got the impression it doesn't work if I have the finger longer on the display in order to place the point accurately.
  •  

Menion

yes, TTS files in Google Drive are for all people. What you change there, will be in next version.

Anyway, please read "README" file first! There is list of what changed since previous version and what needs to be added to other then en.tts file!

4) ... hmm weird, I never had a problem. Have to play with it more anyway this feature is there for years and should work. And it's very usable :)
  •  

tommi

ah, good news for TTS:
27. 11. 2013
- added to "numbers_N1" values "20", "30", "40", "60", "70", "90"
  •  

tommi

Quote from: menion on November 27, 2013, 16:29:47
yes, TTS files in Google Drive are for all people. What you change there, will be in next version.
So I should maintain my own copy with my special texts.
Anyway, please read "README" file first! There is list of what changed since previous version and what needs to be added to other then en.tts file!
Yes, of course but anyway "diff" does a good job :)

4) ... hmm weird, I never had a problem. Have to play with it more anyway this feature is there for years and should work. And it's very usable :)
Strange even after more than two years Locusing and here on the forum I was not aware of this. Think there are still many hidden treasures in Locus. :P
  •  

ta-ka

I just tell you that I've updated 'ja.tts' at Google Docs following the menion's instruction.

27. 11. 2013
- added to "numbers_N1" values "20", "30", "40", "60", "70", "90"
Good News.  I had also been waiting for this.
  •  

Menion

•