[APP] - version 2.17.X+ (updated 28.12.2013)

Started by Menion, October 30, 2013, 13:56:32

KaHeMu

Quote from: ta-ka on November 07, 2013, 07:19:44
I found that point selection by "First X Points" doesn't work on Locus Pro and Test.
Please fix. Thanks.

With Locus pro 2.17.1 it works very well. I tested with little and bigger databases (85 - 2900 points).
I not yet installed last test version.

Regards
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

ta-ka

Hello KaHeMu.  Thanks for reply.

I've tried again and I found my stupid mistake. I didn't tap 'First 50 Points' label.
The reason was that the number of points in my folder was less than 100.
So, only 'First 50 Points' label appeared and I was just waiting without tapping it... :P

Thanks again and sorry for that.
  •  

Menion

@henk:
1) currently I have no idea what to do with it, sorry. But I'm sure, soon or later, some solution appear
2a) I've solved it ... you'll see. Problem is not one icon, but fact, that now exists 6! separate settings for notification

@Bucky kid: ah you were correct. Hope also solved now

@ta-ka: :)

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joeloc

I have no idea whats going on, but the latest 3 or 4 testing versions (including the very latest) totally fail to turn on the GPS. They say "GPS activated" but I cannot see an icon in the title bar and Locus does not find any position. Also, if I go to the GPS Screen in Locus and play with turning on/off GPS, Locus acts as if it would turn it on/off. But it never finds any sattelites. Not a single one.

Latest Locus Pro from market and all other GPS apps work flawlessly.

I am quite clueless really. Maybe a hidden setting somewhere in the vast depths of LocusUImess that can cause the described behaviour? GPS-Auto-Off is off, that much I checked.
  •  

joeloc

Ok... please forgive my stupidity and ignore my mumbling. It was "Privacy Guard" who killed Locus. All is fine now, even the POIs stay where they should. Thanks menion :-).

Quote from: joeloc on November 07, 2013, 16:00:57
I have no idea whats going on, but the latest 3 or 4 testing versions (including the very latest) totally fail to turn on the GPS. They say "GPS activated" but I cannot see an icon in the title bar and Locus does not find any position. Also, if I go to the GPS Screen in Locus and play with turning on/off GPS, Locus acts as if it would turn it on/off. But it never finds any sattelites. Not a single one.

Latest Locus Pro from market and all other GPS apps work flawlessly.

I am quite clueless really. Maybe a hidden setting somewhere in the vast depths of LocusUImess that can cause the described behaviour? GPS-Auto-Off is off, that much I checked.
  •  

Menion

no problem, I'm glad it works and that you like Locus settings ;)
  •  

brymcbride

@menion: I'm not sure what the status of the Get Satisfaction forum is, but I posted this a while back about integrating Locus with Memento Database for custom data collection: https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics/integration_with_memento_database_for_custom_data_collection. Any thoughts on if this might be a worthwhile Co-app or how difficult it might be to implement? Thanks!
  •  

Menion

•  

brymcbride

•  

Joachim Buhl

He Menion

"6.11.2013 - Locus 2.17.1.1, changes - a lot of small fixes"

Haha, small fixes: you changed to rotating map in navigation mode, you added "snap to track".
Thats awesome.

When you changed "display activation" behavior and the distance problems with notifications its nearly perfect for MTB navigation.
I will test it this afternoon.

Thanks alot
  •  

Joachim Buhl

Hello

Test Report:
Locus 2.17.1.1, "offroad route" created with Mapquest by foot, Control on/off screen activated, Settings->navigation->Invalid distance 30m; "out of track" notification 30m beep; snap to track deactivated.

No snap to track and rotating map works great with navigation mode, very good. The two cursors (Navigation and normal) at the same time is also ok for me.
"Out of track":
When you leave the navigation route, I got the beep like I set it up and the navigation switches to guidance with an arrow line coming up heading back to a point on the navigation route.
Question: Which point is selected by the guidance arrow? Its not the nearest point back to the navigation route, but it should be the point with the shortest distance back to the route. BTW: The "automatic display on" is now also been activated by the "out of track" beep, very nice.
What happens is, if you not reach the point back on the route, because you come back to the route "after" that point, locus does not go back out of the guidance mode to navigation mode again. it beeps and beeps and beeps.
If you cross the point after being "out of track", than it switches back to navigation mode again, like it should be.

Navigation notifications, still strange: 300m before - too much for MTB; than 5m before without distance - too late; right during turning - senseless. I think you have that already on your list.

Thanks for your quick response on our suggestions.

Bye
  •  

joeloc

I can still make Locus force-quit and die by enabling a few (15 or so) multi-thousand point tracks and zooming around on the map, mostly when I am zooming in "too close". You are probably going to tell me that is my fault for using tracks with 8000 points each. And I will then most likely reply that I do not what I get when I download stuff from the internet. I just click on a zip and import it to Locus and display it on the map. Scrolling is still quite nicely with those monsters, zooming is mostly unusable and tends to crash.

No idea what the best practice is to handle "monster tracks", but they are a reality "out there". And when you just click on links in tour portals, you dont even know that you are going to import 50k points.

It is quite an undertaking to make that stuff "usable" in Locus. Like export every track manually, upload to gpsvisualizer.com, do a point reduction, download again, import again, delete original, etc.

Maybe it would be good if Locus had its own point reduction function? You could offer it manually as a menu item in track manager and you could allow configuring a MAX NUMBER OF POINTS PER TRACK ON IMPORT. The latter would protect your users from messing up their databases and usability by accidently importing monster-tracks.

•  

joeloc

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on November 05, 2013, 17:03:24
And the long press on  the guiding button (top left) ending the guiding is very nice too.

I disagree. It might be useful for a few supergeeks who have been "breathing" Locus for years. But "features" like this are what makes most others think that Locus has a complex and difficult user interface. A button that SIMPLY DISAPPEARS on long click?! That is unheard of in Android land and against every user interface rule ever invented.

All buttons on Locus map screen, regardless if they are within toolbars or whatever else, should behave equally. They look equal, so make them behave equal! Single tap for an immediate "action" and long tap for an additional menu with more options. Everything else is simply confusing and requires extra documentation that nobody reads anyway. And nobody would have to, if all buttons behaved predictably and logically.

•  

Čelda

Quote from: joeloc on November 09, 2013, 20:55:26
Quote from: Henk van der Spek on November 05, 2013, 17:03:24
And the long press on  the guiding button (top left) ending the guiding is very nice too.

I disagree. It might be useful for a few supergeeks who have been "breathing" Locus for years.

This was not the best example. For the community of users who use Locus mostly for geocaching this is a crucial function - geocachers keep guiding to a cache and this long press is a good shortcut and a big asset. On the other hand I can understand your idea that the GUI should use a limited "library" of actions so that handling can be consistent and comprehensible. To tell the truth it had taken me rather long time before I found this possibility in Locus. Long press of a similar "button" also used to finish navigation but (inconsistently) this feature has been cancelled a few versions of Locus ago.
  •  

Čelda

BTW it might be just a coincidence but the weather service (the symbol of the sun) does not work for me in 2.17.X - it does not bring any forecast. 
  •