default zoom, map tile loading

Started by stebu, July 30, 2013, 00:52:49

stebu

I have just driven 1500 km thru Finland. And I noticed two things I'd like to get improved in Locus.

1) Ther's a lot of cache free areas here. So I like to zoom out to see the general map better. When I arrive at a cahe I have to zoom in 5-6 steps. This is time consuming. So could there be a configurable min/max zoom level, that could be selected by long-pressing (-) or (+) key.

2) It seems that Locus downloads tiles, when the display is off and and center map to GPS is active. If I drive 100km+ without looking at the map, there's a lot of unneccessary tiles downloaded. This should be configurable (load tiles or not, when diplay is off)

But anyhow I found a few caches on my trip to Mega Finland 2013 and the event location, too  :D
 In a few days I'll be heaing back south.
  •  

Menion

1500km, nice testing trip :)

1) not sure I fully understand ... you want to define zoom level that will be selected when you tap with long-click on "+" and "-" buttons right? So for example set "-" to 10 and "+" to 20, so long click on "-" zoom out to level 10 etc, ok?

2) are you sure? if screen is turned off or Locus is in background, map should not be refreshed in any case so also no tiles should be downloaded
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

stebu

1) yes, you got it. The other alternative would be (a configurable) jump in zoom level, eg. +/- 6 levels.

2) I had guiding or POI alert on, so the GPS was running all the time. When I turned on the display, the map tiles were there (and I have never been there before with Locus). I'll try to test on my way home (I have accumulated 2450 km so far)
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "stebu"1) yes, you got it. The other alternative would be (a configurable) jump in zoom level, eg. +/- 6 levels.
Would appreciate such a configurable +/- levels parameter, too. Quite often I need to switch from overview to detail and back.
  •  

stebu

Quote from: "stebu"2) I had guiding or POI alert on, so the GPS was running all the time. When I turned on the display, the map tiles were there (and I have never been there before with Locus). I'll try to test on my way home (I have accumulated 2450 km so far)

I am very positive that Locus loads map tiles when display is OFF, GPS is ON and "center map" is active.

I'm not sure, if this is a bug or feature? But it is an observation (btw. the latest PRO version)

It notice it only when driving a long distance with display off.
Walking, biking, cayaking ... I think that not many needless tiles will be loaded.
  •  

Menion

if locus load tiles even when screen is off, then it's for sure a bug. Important is, not to redraw map when it's not needed. If there is even internet connection and downloading tiles when not needed, it's even worst

anyway, I just
1. started locus, started simulation by one NMEA file
2. cleared cache of all online maps, started track record and put locus on background
3. MapQuest_Classic.sqlitedb file (cache of online map), has now just 200kb (one loaded screen)
4. after five minutes, widget of track record display 5km long track, and MapQuest_Classic.sqlitedb is still just 200kb big

so in my case, Locus for sure do not download any tiles. If you'll have time, try this on your own

about improved zooming ... this is not so simple. I was already thinking about some improvements with zoom, to make it faster, so I'll keep this in mind and will try to do something with it ...
  •  

stebu

Did you have "center map" (bottom menu, leftmost button) active, in my case this is what controls the downloading?

I have configured "always screen on", so I can use STDBY button to toggle screen on/off.
Could you check this method, too.
This could also explain why batteries drain fast even with screen off.

About zoom, I'll be waiting.
  •  

Menion

yes centering was of course enabled, anyway not the "Always screen on". I'll check this, but this should not have influence ...
  •  

stebu

@Menion:

I tested this with my new Xcover 2 (A4.1, L pro 2.14.1) AND no tiles were loaded when display was off, GPS on etc..
This problem/feature has vanished.

It probably was ZTE Blade (A2.2) strange behaviour?

•  

Menion

hmm perfect ...

if there were problem, it should not be connected on any device. I'm almost sure, that depend on only on my code, so if this problem appear again, let me know and we should try to do something with it ...
  •