Altitude (from GPS) optimizations

Started by Menion, March 04, 2013, 19:51:25

Menion

nono I completely forget on this topic, so in current or previous test versions are same problems also
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Hi Menion,
this problem doesn't seems to be fixed:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2916&hilit=pressure&start=60#p22008
I had the same problem today with 2.14.0.
  •  

Menion

yes I know, I wasn't able to find simple solution yet, even I spend already few hours on it. To avoid this, best is to enable GPS in locus before you start track record. This few seconds save these problems.

Only solution I have in mind is in this case, wait a few (+- 5) seconds till recording really start. But it's not best, because you expect to record just from time, you tap the button ...
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"yes I know, I wasn't able to find simple solution yet, even I spend already few hours on it. To avoid this, best is to enable GPS in locus before you start track record. This few seconds save these problems.

Only solution I have in mind is in this case, wait a few (+- 5) seconds till recording really start. But it's not best, because you expect to record just from time, you tap the button ...
Yep, of course I'd like to see it records correctly from button press on. I could live with the problem at the start but the problem also occurs if you paused recording and GPS is disabled during the pause.
Interesting is that this problem did not occur until spring this year.
  •  

Menion

you know, improved more specific algorithm brings this mess ... anyway I probably found a problem and a small solution.

Seems that problem occur only if you have enabled "Automatic calibration" right? If so, then it should be fixed in next version. Also be sure you have HGT files for area where you record your tracks, because these files also here helps a lot with calibration (they're used instead of GPS altitude if available)
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"you know, improved more specific algorithm brings this mess ... anyway I probably found a problem and a small solution.

Seems that problem occur only if you have enabled "Automatic calibration" right? If so, then it should be fixed in next version. Also be sure you have HGT files for area where you record your tracks, because these files also here helps a lot with calibration (they're used instead of GPS altitude if available)
Yes, I use automatic calibration of pressure sensor as I'm one of the lucky guys who has a working pressure sensor in the phone. Automatic calibration is a great feature because all the nasty handling with calibration needs not to be done by the user but is done by Locus. And of course, I have hgt files available for the area.
Thanks, and I will test with next version (already in the next version I'll likely get for the problem with dashboard?)
  •  

Menion

I was already working on dashboard, but it's story to another topic. I don't want to send you a new version with just one fixed problem, so I'll fix them more then publish a version ;)
  •  

tommi

Ok, I see the behaviour of automatic calibration and first recorded point(s?) has changed. Instead of +50m wrong altitude it's now about -25m wrong.
But the glitch after pausing the recording seems to be fixed.
Are these the expected results (maybe my settings are a bit different after having setup my phone newly? (the fixed problem after pause is definitely an improvement).
Thanks,
Tommi
  •  

Menion

good to hear. I'm not sure I'll have time to go out to test it till release so thanks a lot for your help
  •  

pourquoi

Is there a way to show the dynamic elevation or altitude calculated in real time?
I don't want to only be recorded, but I also want it to see it in real time when I need it.
Ideally, it doesn't have to be the downloaded extraction (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:maps_settings), but the real calculated one from GPS data and barometer.
It would be nice to have it added in conjunction with the GPS data on the top of the screen, not in the screen centre.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Have a look into =dashboard]dashboards. It may be what you are wanting.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

pourquoi

Thanks Andrew! It's adaptable to what I need.
  •