SRTM- no attitude in some points

Started by locuscycling, March 14, 2013, 19:42:01

Menion

generally there are no most accurate. every has good places and bad places. But everything is better then nothing. There is also no comparation so I'm saying this only from own experience.

And url to hgt files provided by locus do not exists. Only way is to download them directly in locus when these files are needed
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "menion"Only way is to download them directly in locus when these files are needed

I tried this too with an empty srtm directory but I got an error processing this (?) and Locus did not try to download the data.

In the meantime I walked (in a little snowstorm) 4 km over a complete plain region near our house (max. 1m height diff) and made than two screenshots:
one without fill altitude and one with offline srtm data..
I had selected heavy altitude filter during recording as always.

You can see the result is terrible.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

gynta

Looks like a normal error rate.
It's not really exciting.
It's a smartphone - not an high end geographical instrument.

gynta

Quote from: "menion"...Locus offer for download "only" 3' data, so if you want higher resolution, you need to download them somewhere on your own. Difference in precision was shortly tested on our side and because difference was quite small, we decided to use 3' data due to very high difference in size. Anyway it's up to you, Locus should be able to handle both
thx and to illustrate the difference...

locuscycling

How are the difference in Sizes between these ''resolutions''-  It is about megabytes or gigabytes ? ( i am thinking about covering  FULL EUROPA)
  •  

gynta

sorry, only "ALPS" (840MB) available
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/Cove ... s_org1.htm

Menion

On pictures, you compare 3' data from locus with 1' data from viewfinder right? On size of alps you may see that 1' are simply nine times bigger ... way too much to store huge areas ...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tramp20

Quote from: "gynta"It's a smartphone - not an high end geographical instrument.
This well known of course.
But this shows that the filter should better interpolate : No real height change over 4 km and the srtm data show the same at least on some parts of the track.
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •