SMS live tracking

Started by durian, November 01, 2012, 10:32:14

durian

Hi Menion,

More ideas :-) There is a short discussion about adding SMS "tracking" to the Gpstrace4Locus add-on, but now I'm thinking maybe it is better added to the Live Tracking which is already build in Locus. Instead of having a POST and a GET option, there could be one extra, SMS, and a similar string with the position and speed and so on is send as an SMS to a phonenumber.

For me personally :-) SMS tracking would be useful when abroad in countries where a cash-card with SMS possibilities is easier to buy than data-access (which often involves back-accounts and so on).

.peter
  •  

gynta

And if i found this idea on
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/ideas/popular
i will vote for.

Menion

hmm to add this feature, it's of course possible, but from my point of view it have two disadvantages

1. required SMS permission - and people really hate when add have it
2. SMS with live tracking is quite risky. I think you'll want to send SMS once per hour, and for this I suggest "share" feature. Locus should be crazy sometimes and I see it clear "hey menion, Locus send sms every sec instead of every hour" :). Ok, it's not real problem, just some testing and all will be fine, anyway problem no. 1 is real problem for me. If such feature should be created over Gpstrace4Locus add-on, from my point of view - absolutely best idea
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

durian

Quote from: "menion"hmm to add this feature, it's of course possible, but from my point of view it have two disadvantages

1. required SMS permission - and people really hate when add have it
2. SMS with live tracking is quite risky. I think you'll want to send SMS once per hour, and for this I suggest "share" feature. Locus should be crazy sometimes and I see it clear "hey menion, Locus send sms every sec instead of every hour" :). Ok, it's not real problem, just some testing and all will be fine, anyway problem no. 1 is real problem for me. If such feature should be created over Gpstrace4Locus add-on, from my point of view - absolutely best idea
Yeah, I understand that you don't want to add another permission, especially SMS.

Maybe I should write my own add-on, after all, I pretend to be a programmer in my day job :-) (If only I had time). This is maybe a silly (ok, beginners) question, but would an add-on have access to the settings in the live tracking? Just to clarify, I have a little Linux computer with an old mobile phone connected, it can receive SMS from the phone with a python script. So the points received could be processed in the same way as the POST or GET points sent with the live tracking.

-peter
  •  

Menion

hmm live tracking cannot be now handled in any way by API I'm creating for locus. I don't fully understand which feature you should miss in this case, anyway everything is possible :). ... ah maybe I understand. In Locus API is ability to receive locations comming from Locus. So if you want, you may write own add-on, that will have own settings for sending SMS. It's clear on for example geocaching4Locus and it's live map. This addon receive your GPS location and also map center and by this load dynamically geocaches and send them back to locus ..
  •  

durian

Yeah, ok - I was thinking about retrieving the settings (like which fields to send (speed, accuracy, secret-key-for-website,...) so the user would not have to enter them again. On the other hand, maybe separate settings is better, but in that case it can almost be a stand-alone application, if it only gets the position from locus :-)

-peter
  •  

Menion

yes it can :)

to retrieve user settings, there is file in locus directory that contain all settings. Anyway it's binary, so I should tell you what ever value means
  •  

durian

aha :-) then the only problem left is that I don't know how to program for Android :-)

-peter
  •  

Menion

may only suggest to ask berkley here from forum. Seems he started today, because he wanted some basic info from me ;)
  •  

berkley

I should do WHAT??? :D
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •