Direction arrows on tracks

Started by sman55, October 26, 2012, 19:49:24

sman55

Is it possible to have direction arrows on tracks without having to select them.  I'd like to print them out and the arrows disappear once the pointer is removed from over the track

Thanks
  •  

Menion

unfortunately this is not possible now. These arrows consume quite a lot of CPU so it's normally not best idea to have them enabled still
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sman55

Thanks for your fast reply.  I never imagined they would use any cpu processing.
  •  

Menion

it depend, to be precise. When you have very loooong track and you're really zoomed on a street level, then if you imagine whole track, it's really a long. Few thousands of pixels. And CPU have to compute, which arrows draw and which are already out of screen. So I really rather display them on highlighted track. CPU usage means battery consumption and this is very precious goods on android :)
  •  

Bob Denny

Take my vote against this "feature" - it would clutter the map and as you note it would take a lot of CPU to draw those arrows. I hope people understand the difference between features that are "it would be nice if" and "I must have it".
  •  

gynta

Menion, maybe for high end devices  you can add a choice (eg in the .cfg)

# always display direction arrows on track line
# (default: 0;)
map_direction_arrows=1

or should we add a idea on https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/ideas/popular ?

Menion

guys, even on high powered devices, with current system (so drawing map by CPU, not by graphics chip - OpenGL), it will really take CPU for feature that is not necessary. I'm trying to eliminate all things that consume additional power when it's not needed and this is just that case. So if anyone need this feature, then sorry, but I'll for sure not add it now. Maybe later when hardware accelerated rendering will be also in Locus
  •