Will Locus Pro fit my needs? large satellite maps

Started by davisdesigns, August 30, 2012, 21:23:00

davisdesigns

Currently i'm using BCNAV in conjunction with MOBAC to create a satellite atlas of Puerto Rico & US Virgin islands to a zoom level of about 17 to 18.

The problem i'm having is when I move the files to my SD card the size tipples!

I have a 32gb card but it quickly gets filled up not to mention the 4gb transfer issue with FAT filing system.

I have been playing with the Locus free version and like the ESRI world satellite maps but any "none" hybrid satellite imagery that is clear at a zoom of 17 would work for me.

With the Pro version will I be able to download unlimited tiles of this type of map for the areas stated?
And what is the approximate file size for those two areas at that zoom?

Thanks for any help
  •  

Menion

Hello David,
  list and limits on maps (viewing and downloading) are same in both versions. In Pro version you don't pay for maps, you just pay for program (features) itself. So if you don't find useful maps in Free, it will be same in Pro version.

ESRI maps aren't officially supported. If you have them in Locus, it's on your own risk. As I was also asking ESRI company, they do not provide official access to their maps so if you downloaded them in BCNAV, then BCNAV simply use them against their "Terms of use"
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

davisdesigns

When I tried downloading Puerto Rico with a zoom of 17 it said it would exceed my daily tile allowance is that Locus not allowing me or where i'm getting the map from?
  •  

gynta

Puerto Rico - Zoom 17 = 160.000 Tiles (1,6 GB)
Do you have really read (and understood) the ESRI terms of use???
-> allowed 10.000 per day

davisdesigns

Every new app has a learning curve.  Today is the first day i've used Locus and from what I can tell, you cant download anything that is highlighted in red?  Google maps does the same thing as ESRI.

What is the purpose of listing the option if you cant use it?
  •  

Menion

simple answer
1. do not download ESRI maps - http://downloads2.esri.com/ArcGISOnline ... ummary.pdf - read at bottom "You may not". BCNAV do it illegally!
2. "What is the purpose of listing the option if you cant use it" - you can't use it??? I think you can, maps are usable 1. online, 2. they store in cache, so that what you saw once, is also available offline
  •  

davisdesigns

I'm using Locus to download ESRI world & Google maps not BCNAV.

When downloading a map using Locus it gives an option for zoom level, if i select say 18 it wont download because it exceeds 10,000 tiles.  I don't see why Locus would have the option if it cant be used, try it..    

Yes, i could scroll around the screen with it zoomed in for two weeks to get the map coverage i need but that's insane! Plus isn't there a cache limit and wouldn't it start to write over the previous cached tiles?
  •  

Menion

Davis please,

1. is you use Locus for downloading ESRI maps, then you also download them illegaly
2. read terms of use of ESRI maps!
3. I don't need to try it. ESRI maps are for you added to Locus probably by add-on map Tweak. This addon use method that serve for own OSM servers! Not for public servers. There is default limit 10k tiles per day.

I personally know that this system (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... nline_maps) is used mainly for such maps. There is also no doubt that users download quite a lot of tiles even it's not allowed. That's why there is this limit.

--------------

Ah why should I explain it. Limit is 10.000 tiles per day on every external map added to Locus. If you add your own server, you may remove this limit by special http header. There will be no exceptions on this limit.
  •  

davisdesigns

sorry i thought the add on was from Locus.
  •  

Menion

ah that was missing information. Yes, add-on is created by one user here from forum. I before an year and half removed most maps from Locus. I wanted to make Locus legal, that's all. Anyway this user though that should be nice to add these maps back in other way. So he created this add-on.

I personally do not speak about it, don't support it, when someone have problems with maps from this add-on, I usually do not help. because most people ignore terms of use of maps and because only problems with it should have Locus.

That's whole story. So sorry, if you really need so huge area in 18 zoom, you have to take care about it personally. Even that ESRI servers are really huge and traffic from Locus should be absolutely zero for their server, they do not allow it. I was also personally in their office in Prague, but they have no solution for this and using their maps in mobile application like locus is prohibited. Long story ... sorry :)
  •