Navigation: no voice

Started by PeterPablo, August 11, 2012, 15:53:37

PeterPablo

Hi Menion,

in the meanwhile I tried the navigation of Locus Pro several times. Unfortunately I never hear any commands. I tried to disable and reenable the sound, even downloaded the czeck voice from the shop to switch from the phones tts. I have a Galaxy S2 with original firmware 4.0.3 and use the latest official build from the Android Store.

Please let me know what kind of further information you need to fix this bug.

Peter
  •  

tommi

Hi Peter,
as I like Menion to work on Locus I try to take some of the support work from him.
What do you see if you tap on 3) in this screen http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ion_screen ?
What do you see if tap on Choose Voice?
Is the volume slider set to maximum?
Is Mute sounds navigation not ticked?
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "PeterPablo"...downloaded the czeck voice from the shop to switch from the phones tts.
I have a Galaxy S2 with original firmware 4.0.3

hi peter
the same hw works fine here.

If you want to use TTS, be sure your system works correctly with TTS.

If you have problems with your TTS, you can use different voices from here  
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2056#p13176

If you change to an other voice, you should hear a test sound like that: (see/hear attachment)

PeterPablo

Hi there,

as before I see three options for voice: "no voice, text-to-speech and eliska oc". I selected Text-to-speec. "Mute navigation" is not ticked. Volume is set to 26%.
I just started (again) a small test and this time selected start and end positions "from map" -- now I heard some tts-voice. This is really strange! I will monitor my issue and perhaps try some different voice.

Thank you!
Peter

edit: I watched the video. Interestingly I only hear a "test-voice" if I switch to "eliska". If I switch to "tts" i do not hear some test-voice.
  •  

tommi

Hi Peter,
one more hint:
If you see a '?' in the navigation element (3) there will be no voice instructions because the phone is too far away from the planned route.
You can configure the distance here: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... navigation Invalid distance
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "PeterPablo"I only hear a "test-voice" if I switch to "eliska". If I switch to "tts" i do not hear some test-voice.
thats ok
tts works only in "real life"

PeterPablo

Today I figured it out. The navigation voice only works when the system is not in silent mode! Please fix this, so that the voice is played out load, even if the phone is in silent mode.
  •  

Menion

hmm but this is intent! Why you want to play sound when phone is in silent mode??
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

To me this seems to be a much more general question what should still come out of the loudspeaker if the phone is in silent mode.
I'm also not sure if all phones or even all android phones and even more all apps behave in the same way.
E.g. if I start the mp3player the music is still played on the loud speaker, if the timeout of a timer occurs there is no sound whereas from the same app the sound of an alarm still gets played !?
Is there a general guideline for the behaviour of silent mode for Android?
To come back to the question here, I also tend to Menion's opinion that the voice should be suppressed in silent mode.
  •  

PeterPablo

Well, I understand your point but it is not intuitive when compared to the big competitor google maps. That's why it took me so long to realise that my phone was in silent mode. If you insist on being silent, when the phone is in silent mode, then I suggest to disable the specific items so that it is clear to the user why he can not hear any noise.

I have my phone in silent mode for 90% of the time and only want some selected apps to be able make "noise".

Peter
  •  

ketani

Quote from: "tommi62"Hi Peter,
as I like Menion to work on Locus I try to take some of the support work from him.
What do you see if you tap on 3) in this screen http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ion_screen ?
What do you see if tap on Choose Voice?
Is the volume slider set to maximum?
Is Mute sounds navigation not ticked?

I have everything right from my side , yet no voice-guided navigation for me though i am a pro user !!  :(
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "ketani"
Quote from: "tommi62"I'
I have everything right from my side , yet no voice-guided navigation for me though i am a pro user !!  :(
Sorry, ketani it's hard to help you. It's like someone calling the doctor on the phone and saying I'm sick.
Did you read the complete thread thoroughly?
Could you try also with TTS?
  •  

ketani

Quote from: "tommi62"
Quote from: "ketani"
Quote from: "tommi62"I'
Sorry, ketani it's hard to help you. It's like someone calling the doctor on the phone and saying I'm sick.
Did you read the complete thread thoroughly?
Could you try also with TTS?

I will try TTS & get back to you , as for the reading the thread thoroughly ... Well i did !!  8-)
  •  

ketani

Selecting TTS has not helped my cause , it seems it's my bad luck as things are not working for me !!
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "ketani"Selecting TTS has not helped my cause , it seems it's my bad luck as things are not working for me !!
No, I don't think its bad luck.
Sorry, I'm running out of ideas.
But again one really important point I'd like to be answeredn by you:
If there is only a '?' there will be no voice.
  •