Problems with Fieldnotes

Started by Gas, July 03, 2012, 12:34:56

Gas

Hi!

I went caching last weekend and found two things regarding field notes that were a bit strange:

1. When logging a fieldnote online (=>Cache=>Fieldnote=>OK=>Upload Fieldnote), the fieldnote is also written in the "gcfieldnotes.txt". When using a combination of online and offline fieldnotes, eg. for the upload via GCLive, you always have two fieldnotes for one cache. I'm not sure if this is an intended behaviour or a bug as I think that it wasn't so in versions before 2.4.2.

2. Some fieldnotes i created last weekend had totally wrong time settings resulting in an incorrect order on the geocaching page. I didn't pay that much attention to it when I was out in the fields, but once i saw when creating a fieldnote that the time was not shown correctly in the time field, neither the hours nor the minutes (so it wasn't the time zone). After cancelling the fieldnote and creating a new one the time was correct. That happened for about 8 of 40 caches.

Can you help me there?

Greetings
Gas
  •  

Menion

Hello Gas,

1) check "Menu > Settings > Geocaching > Create Field note". You probably have this enabled

2) time is a global problem on geocaching server. You should see different time in fieldNotes.txt file and different is send on geocaching server and also different is visible in uploaded field notes on their server. There are three possible places and everyone need different time. And finally, you can also have different timezone on your account on geocaching.com. Nightmare.

Anyway Locus should handle all this correctly. As I see, this should be fixed since last month https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... ly_9016063, so check final times on geocaching server once more and in case of incorrect values, we should start to solve it
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Gas

Hi Menion,

i usually use the normal mode where this option isn't visible. I just changed to expert mode but the "Create Field note" option is not checked there either.

The time problem seems to come from locus, not from the upload itself. As i told, when I created a field note last weekend the time that was pre-filled in the dialog was totally different to the real time in the phone. I then cancelled the field note dialog and created a new one and the time was filled correctly. Anyway, i'll check that when i go caching the next time and report again. Maybe it was some kind of temporary problem.
  •  

Menion

hmm weird ...

so please, I'm currently uploading new version on market. I did there small changes that should have also influence on doubled field notes records.

If this will anyway still not be fixed, or if you find any clue, what cause incorrect times in "pre-fill values", let me know ...
  •  

Gas

Hi again,

i just tested the new version and the problem with field notes saving offline when they were uploaded still exists...
  •  

Menion

Hello,
 weird ... as I look into code there is not much space to make a mistake. So if you want help me with this, I need precise description or video what you do (on what you click) and what you see (which windows and which small greyed messages) in this case.
  •  

Gas

Hi!

I'll describe it as detailed as I can.

1. There are currently no field notes on the device, the GCFieldNotes.txt is deleted and Geocaching Tools => Field notes says "No saved field notes".
2. I open a geocache and click on the button "field notes". In this dialog the log type is set to found, date/time/time zone is set correctly and the comment field is filled with my template.
3. I click "OK". A message "Bearbeitung läuft" (don't know the english phrase) appears
4. The dialog appears where I can choose between "log my visit", "upload field note" and "save offline"
5. I choose "upload fieldnote". Another message "Bearbeitung läuft" is running and changes to a "process successful".

Now I assume that the field note is deleted automatically from the device as the upload was successful, but
- I open Geocaching Tools => Field notes and there it is again.
- I open Geocaching Live =>Upload field notes and there it is, too.
- The field note is also written in the GCFieldNotes.txt.

It looks as if Locus simply writes into the GCFieldNotes.txt no matter if the upload was successful or not.

I hope that helps...
  •  

Menion

then you do everything correctly! Damn, same steps ends me with success!

Way how locus handle field notes is opposite then you think. When you confirm your edit dialog with OK, it always create field note record in gcFieldNotes.txt file. Thanks to this, you'll never loose this FN even in case of any serious error. And then after successful upload on server, field note is deleted from this file.

So seems that for you do not work this deleting. When you see "process successful" in step 5, then just in this time, Locus delete this record. If delete or not, it depend only on settings as I wrote before (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... geocaching - "Create field note"). You have to have disabled this settings! May you please check it once more??

Anyway you'll probably have unchecked this settings, so may I create for you testing version with some debug messages? You'll then simply install CatLog program from Google Play, testing version of Locus and after steps you describe above, you'll just run CatLog from and from menu choose "Send" and this will save and send some informations that helps me to find problem ...
  •  

Gas

I double-checked the "create field note" setting, and it is definitely disabled. Even enabling and disabling again didn't help
but
I just did a backup of the settings and tried to set locus back to default setting. After that is works again as intended, the field note is deleted after the upload. When I restore the backup, the problem is back. So it seems to be something in the settings although the "create field note" setting is disabled in both configurations.
Is it useful for you when i send you the "defect" settings backup file?
  •  

Menion

hey sure. More then appreciated. I'll check settings database where is problem! Thanks!!
  •  

Gas

Well, here it is. I hope it's useful for you!
  •  

Menion

ah sorry, in preferences from you is also key token for access to gc.com so I send one field note to your account. Anyway you were correct and field note really remain in list of stored field notes. On first sight, issue will be probably spaces at start of yours texts (description in every FN).

EDIT: can confirm, it's caused by leading or ending empty lines. Locus have then problems, find identical field note that should be deleted. Fixed now. Sorry for troubles and thank you very much for help
  •