Is there any topo map for France available to use is in Locu

Started by xxAxelxx, May 17, 2012, 15:20:52

jusc

Quote from: "menion"ehm, guys did you saw this??? https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... iginal_dpi

Hi menion,
I´m not sure if I understand it correctly. Is it possible to use OruxMaps Sqllite format in other words OruxMaps maps directly with Locus?
I loaded a small map into Locus but it won´t work.

btw: somebody placed this topic to getsatisfaction too : https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... r_ign_maps
Regards J.
  •  

skids

Not at the moment - but it sounds like it will in the next update?
  •  

Menion

yes in next version ;) Just what projection does have your map? If it's different then classic mercator, may you send me it on email? Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

PM sent.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

PM not received :) Anyway new version is currently uploading, so during next week, I'll be focused only on fixing, so everything that will not work, report! Small sample not working maps are more then welcome.
  •  

jusc

I created  a small map of Ile d'Oleron (France) http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.90 ... 1&layers=M
an put it into Dropbox. (usersjusc).
The map is working with OruxMaps. How can I get it work with Locus?
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

did you tried to just put it into locus/maps directory? if will not work, I'll check it
  •  

jusc

Sorry, just loaded Locus 2.5.0 I will try it once more.
Regards J.
  •  

jusc

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  
Yes,
it works. [attachment=0:wcx1myju]Corse_IGN.png[/attachment:wcx1myju]

Thank you very much  :mrgreen:
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

perfect ;) as I wrote somewhere, not all projections may work correctly, so in case of problems, sample map is needed
  •  

skids

Brilliant  :D

Working fine for me with IGN Oruxmaps files created by topomap.

One question - is there any way to combine more than one map, the way you can with Rmaps sqlite by putting them in the same directory.  I guess you can't because the files containing the tiles seem to have the same name.

This would allow for 'automatic map switching' - at the moment I'm having to do a quick map switch (which isn't too much hassle), and as topomap keeps crashing on me, I'm having to stick to quite small map areas.

Anyway - thanks again for the excellent work!

(goodbye Oruxmaps.... it was nice knowing you for a few days, but I won't be needing your services any more  ;) )
  •  

jusc

@skids,

do you know, how big a topomap created map can be for for using with Locus.
I created  a map of whole France with 1:25.000. But this is to big for Fat32 because it has 7,8GB. So I splitted it to 3.8GB maps, but they don´t work, I only get some light brown raster.
Small(er) maps (200MB) work fine, I will try up to 2GB.
Regards J.
  •  

skids

I guess you'll have to stick to the 2GB limit because of the limitations of android.

You've obviously had more success with topomap than me.  The biggest map I've made is about 200MB, and even then I had to restart several times - at least it caches the tiles.  A few times I've had a complete system crash - a rather alarming instant power down!  I guess my old laptop is a bit lacking in power and memory.

Are you going down to Zoom level 0?  It obviously makes a bit different to file size, but definitely worth it for zooming in to extra details.

About to send you a PM about something related  ;)
  •  

skids

Tried on another computer, and topomap now working fine for me  :D

Decided in the end to miss 'Zoom level 0', and just making do with the one 1:25,000 zoom level.  Image slight 'fuzzy' when zooming in digitally instead, but I can live with that as it means map files are about 1/3 of the size.

And the new 'intelligent zoom' feature in Locus makes zooming like this very easy.
  •  

ukuest

Works for me too! Fantastic, thank you Menion!  :D
I have not expected you would make this possible so quickly.

So far I went up to 1,7 GB in one map without real problems.
Topomap sometimes seems to get stuck, but on restarting it finishes the job.

How are you all handling the 2 GB limit?
Is it possible to cut the map of France in different areas and Locus puts them together?
Can the maps created by TopoMap be renamed? Or use different folders?
  •