[offtopic] recommendation best Android Device for gps

Started by Jurlui, June 22, 2012, 15:15:47

Jurlui

What is the best device in your opinion concerning battery life (10 hours tracking per day with not constantly screen on), gps stability, readable screen in the sun, light device (if possible < 120g) ?
  •  

Menion

my personal opinion: Only device that can constantly record 10 hours is Motorola Razr. You can use in Locus Auto-GPS off feature that should increase life a lot, but in cost of lower number of recorded points. Best device I worked with, is still by me your SGS2.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Jurlui

Yes, the sgs2 rocks, but i am looking for some alternative. Optimising the gps fix to auto doesn't work well for me, because i need to know often  exactly where i am (offroad in the mountains)

There are only 2 options for me:
1. taking another battery with me while traveling, but i can't charge them both overnight in the device.
So i need a second external recharger which is isn't easy concerning weight and quality (150g and battery "calibration"only works with one battery)

2. Or taking another light Android device with you, around 100g and you can recharge it separately.
  •  

jusc

I compared Defy, Note and SGS2 and would say, the SGS2 is the best. Die Defy loses sometimes the GPS signal. Samsung Note gets the signal very fast, but shows some reflections, where Defy and SGS2 don't.
So using the 2000mah battery  extension with SGS2,  is for me the best choice.
Regards J.
  •  

vtgeopirates

What about adding a Bluetooth external GPS? My external GPS battery lasts 10-15 hrs and my Droid X2 lasts much longer then with internal GPS.
  •  

jusc

Ok, that seems to be another way.   If I forget to close Locus at home it sucks the battery empty. I would like to have a time limit of half an hour for disable the GPS automaticly, if there is no signal.  :mrgreen:  
Which external GPS do you use?
Regards J.
  •