Save logs offline, and submit them later

Started by Rhintl, June 07, 2012, 13:47:24

Rhintl

Hi,
in the holidays, I'd like to use Locus as my only geocaching frontend.

When I find a geocache, I simply want to write a quick found note into Locus, offline.
Then, in the evening, I like to review and edit my daily notes, and finally submit them to geocaching.com.

If I had a computer in the evening, writing and submitting fieldnotes would be quite that thing.
However, I do not want to seek a computer to edit my field notes; I rather want to submit logs directly from Locus.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for the wonderful software, that I enjoy for years already :)
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  all this is possible in Locus. On a cache screen http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ing_screen, under button 12, fill your log and after pressing "OK" you'll be prompted if submit immediately or store for offline

to handle all stored field notes, go in locus to menu > functions > geocaching tools > manage field notes

to submit them all at once to web, you may upload manually gcFieldNotes.txt file from root Locus directory or use menu > functions > Geocaching Live feature where is possibility to upload them directly
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Rhintl

Thank your for your fast response.

I think I miss something in the final step, when uploading the taken locus-fieldnotes:

If I upload the locus-fieldnotes (in either way), I still need to visit geocaching.com with a browser, call "fieldnotes", and manually submit them one by one.

My wish is to NOT have to visit the web-site at all.
Means: I like to upload my taken locus-fieldnotes as instantly effective logs on geocaching.com and not as "fieldnotes" that expect further handling on geocaching.com.

But, maybe I missed any option to do so?
  •  

wvb

Locus has the option to turn field note to log on gc.com from menu

Sent from my SGSII CM9 with Tapatalk 2
  •  

Rhintl

Well, my further tests make me still believe that it is NOT possible to batch upload all offline stored logs as real logs to gc .com (not as fieldnotes!)

@Menion:
You wrote:
>to submit them all at once to web, you may upload manually gcFieldNotes.txt file from root Locus directory or use menu > functions > Geocaching Live feature where is possibility to upload them directly

In my test, this results in a list of fieldnotes on gc.com, they are not turned into real logs (whatever I  configure).
Right? Any chance to provide a batch upload for logs?
  •  

druki

I just tested how it works.
First of all: Batch-Loging is not jet possible.
You can write a field note, store it offline. In the evening after a hopefully successful day you go again to the Geocache in Locus, select the fieldnote, edit it and save. When prompted, you choose Online Log. Repeat until all geocaches are loged.
Helpful could be to move found geocaches to a separate category.

I think, a better solution could be to call offline stored fieldnotes in an overview, be able to edit them and upload selected as logs. Maybe a good idea at getsetisfaction.com... I would vote for it.
  •  

stebu

Quote from: "druki"I just tested how it works.
First of all: Batch-Loging is not jet possible.
You can write a field note, store it offline. In the evening after a hopefully successful day you go again to the Geocache in Locus, select the fieldnote, edit it and save. When prompted, you choose Online Log. Repeat until all geocaches are loged.
Helpful could be to move found geocaches to a separate category.

I think, a better solution could be to call offline stored fieldnotes in an overview, be able to edit them and upload selected as logs. Maybe a good idea at getsetisfaction.com... I would vote for it.
Yes! This seems the way it should be implemented.
1. from the fieldnote list it should be possible to edit the fieldnote (add "Edit" to the pop-up of GCxxxx, delete). After edit is done, the same options (save, upload as FN, log) should be presented.
2. if the fieldnotes are already completed on the field (out of NW coverage), it should be possible to upload selected fieldnotes as a batch (a tick-box is needed)

I will vote for this, too.
  •  

druki

•  

wvb

Quote from: "Rhintl"Well, my further tests make me still believe that it is NOT possible to batch upload all offline stored logs as real logs to gc .com (not as fieldnotes!)
?

Sorry, I misunderstood you.. I thought you wanted to log one..

Batch indeed isn't possible yet.

Sent from my SGSII CM9 with Tapatalk 2
  •  

Rhintl

Thanks all for your contributions, and for creating the getsatisfaction topic.
I agree to druki's suggestions and vote yes :)
  •  

Menion

Hi Guys,
  you're of course correct ... some batch logging of previously store caches is not yet possible. Question is whether it should be even allowed?

anyway votes will decide, I just wanted to notify you that you don't miss any feature in Locus, it really do not exist :)
  •  

stephan

Hi,
Logging geocaches with Locus wasn't satisfying. Thats why I use an additional geocaching app (the one with c....) for very comfortable logging the found caches in the field - if network is available. So I certainly would appreciate to get asked if I wanted to log online in the field or save the field notes and log as soon as network is available. Especially if you're in vacation and every kB in foreign network is expensive.
  •  

Menion

Hi ... I'm trying to "move geocachers" to be more .... writters, by disabling some batch logging. Anyway I personally don't write much texts when I log caches ... so why not this feature right? ... check GetSatisfaction
  •