[MAPS] - Vector maps (with terrain contour lines)

Started by jurajs, April 22, 2012, 16:04:18

jurajs

here it is ....
  •  

skids

I've downloaded a couple of your vectors maps with contours, jurajs - thanks for the great work!  Was very excited to see a UK+Ireland+Iceland map completed, but when I downloaded it I found it was a .bin file rather than .map.  Locus is not recognising it as a new vector map when I put it in the mapsVector folder. How can I convert it so it is recognised, or am I doing something stupid??
Many thanks.
  •  

jurajs

let me check...
  •  

jurajs

checked...
the link for britain_ireland_iceland.ter.osm.map (https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3Ijv5 ... 1llTlZCam8) is completely ok.
maybe you are proud owner of some bulletproof antivirus software? ... or hmmm...  :ugeek:
try to re-download or something ;-) maybe someone else can try it too and report the results...

j.
  •  

skids

Sorry - all is OK.  :oops:  I was trying to download it directly to my phone, but for some reason my downloaded file has the wrong name and format (even though it's the right size?????)  just tried on my laptop with no problems.  Thanks again.  :D
  •  

gura

Hello Jurajs, I must say you are doing a great work and it's exciting. Thank you!
  •  

skids

Quote from: "skids"Sorry - all is OK.  :oops:  I was trying to download it directly to my phone, but for some reason my downloaded file has the wrong name and format (even though it's the right size?????)  just tried on my laptop with no problems.  Thanks again.  :D

Now I feel a right idiot.  The original file I downloaded was perfectly fine - I just needed to rename it with a .map filename.  Keep up the great work guys!
  •  

jurajs

new map of France is out

France 2012-05-09 (1391 MB): //https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3Ijv5irWwU7OUhFNVkzNWQ1MG8
alps will be next...

please note that this is the first map generated with new "ruleset" (see 1st post for details) and better rendering for zooms 12-13. feel free to test it and give some feedback/bug report.
  •  

skids

I'm seeing several strange hexagons and other polygons on the UK map, obviously related to contour data and visible on all zoom levels.  I guess it's from corrupted data? but just for now I think I will avoid these areas in case they turn out to be huge bottomless pits or alien landing sites.
[attachment=0:2qr0udlp]pic.png[/attachment:2qr0udlp]
  •  

jurajs

hi skids,

I have been experiencing similar issue when i was building my first map (Slovakia), and i tough that srtmfill utility is going to fix that for good. obviously is not. it's important to tell that this problem is caused by "invalid" srtm data.

possible causes/solutions:
1. it was my fault. that means i forgot to process one or more hgt files with srtmfill.
   - can you isolate the area where those hexagons are appearing? (in whole degrees e.g. N48-49 W002-004) so i can try to run the utility again.
2. if 1. is not the case, we should find some kind of tool with possibility to change the elevation data in hgt file manually. (and fix those bugs)
3. find another (better) source of srtm data to try.

jurajs
  •  

skids

Its not really isolated to one region, but the errors are few and far between, and having had a little look around some other areas of the UK, they tend to be in areas with lots of contours.  It doesn't bother me, since it is obvious on the map where there is an error, and they are too small to hide any important features - the benefits of having a vector map with contours far outweighs these small glitches!
  •  

jurajs

alps ready
  •  

brotbuexe

if you use the hgt files for this contourlines you could get some better files for alps etc. from http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html. He have also 1" hgt files...

Coverage http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/Cove ... s_org3.htm

Locus also can use 1" hgt files...
  •  

jurajs

maps are created according to this prefference already : view1,view3,srtm1,srtm3
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Thank you for your great Alps-ter map!!! :D

I also downloaded the Netherlands-ter map in hope to get rid of my Locus crashing problem with other Netherlands maps. But no, this one also crashes at zoom-levels 9 and lower. Strange because the Alps map is over 1 Gig and that one goes. The Netherlands is about 330 mB.
Must be something with all the water and osm or mapsforge.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •