QUERY [Tracks time zone]

Started by col, September 22, 2014, 18:33:25

col

Question about time zone in recorded tracks..

I normally live in the UK, where it is British Summer Time, (UTC+1)

I have just been to Spain & Portugal:
-using a Spanish sim card and the phone set to automatically use network time zone, phone displays (UTC+2)

when recording multiple tracks:
the time auto filled in the track name displays (UTC+2) time,
browsing the saved points on Locus shows points have time (UTC+1)
exporting to GPX correctly shows (UTC)

When using a Portuguese Sim, time set automatically, Both Track name time and Points time are correctly (UTC +1)

On returning to the UK both track name time and points time both show correctly (UTC +1)

I am confused why the points stored in the Locus database show (UTC +1)  rather than the Spanish Local time of (UTC+2), or is this by design?
  •  

Menion

Hello col,

I think there will be a problem with time visible as plain text and time that is formatted during creating UI. May you please show me a screenshot of screen with one point where you still see UTC+1?

Anyway agree that UTC+1 in Spain for points recorded also in Spain is little bit weird, so I'm not saying that in Locus is something wrong. Let check it ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

col

Hi,
here are the screenshots, you can see that the auto created track time shows the time on the phone I started the track record, and the info on point one is clearly one hour earlier..

The just over 1 minute discrepancy is the time it took to get a fix for first point..
  •  

Menion

Hi,

thanks for a screenshots.

Two times you see here are quite different. Time on first screenshot (in center of map and also in a title at top) is time generated when track was created from current local time and is stored as simple text (so it will be same no matter where you display this track). But time on second screenshot is stored in database as number so it will be automatically formated by current user timezone.

I believe that if you change timezone on your device to UTC+2 (simulate your visit in Spain), then time on second screenshot will match time on first screenshot.
  •  

col

Hi,
Yes the in camera time zone does change the time the point displays. However I do find this behaviour odd, as the point relates to the time when the track was recorded..

Thanks for explaining.

Col
  •  

Menion

col, absolutely agree. I'm not saying that current solution is correct. If you recorded point in 14:00, no matter where you are, it should still be displayed as 14:00 (maybe with better format like 14:00 UTC+2.

I never thought about it, but you're absolutely correct, that current solution isn't perfect. Thanks!
  •  

col

Yes, what you suggest would great.

Always a pleasure to use Locus..!
  •