Support for node-tags in lookups.dat

Started by Lupin, March 30, 2024, 19:25:55

Lupin

Hi everyone,

I noticed that some mappers, including myself, sometimes use certain tags on nodes instead of the way to indicate short sections without splitting the segment. I wonder if it would be possible to add the smoothness, mtb:scale, mtb:scale:uphill and surface tag to the node-tags section in lookups.dat, as it is done for the way-tags section?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
  •  

Radim V

Hello Lupin.
This is a good point.
Current state of .brf files and lookups.dat can be seen here
There are a few additions in the node section (for the exact reason you mentioned), like safety_rope=yes or ladder=yes. However none of the keys you have named specifically are referenced for nodes now. So this is something to consider, but a few overpass_turbo queries should be done before to check the frequency of their usage.
Short note on how tags are used:
- routing as such
- detection of warnings
- time adjustments for walking profiles
Thanks for your point!   
  •  

Lupin

While the node use isn't as common as with ways, similar to what was mentioned in the Brouter request here, I understand that adding support for such a low percentage of cases might not be practical. However, it would improve the accuracy of the calculations. The fact that the current system excludes certain node values leads to imprecise results.

Let me give you an example: If I include code in my profile to avoid all mtb:scale=3|4|5 values, I would like the route to be as precise as possible. This means avoiding not only segments with this tag directly, but also segments that have nodes with the same tag.

In any case, it's better to give profile creators the option to utilize this node filtering functionality rather than completely exclude it.
  •  

Lupin

I would also like to add another request. I was thinking about my profile and its calculation limits, and I would need to add waterway=stream tag, seasonal=* (all tags) and intermittent=* (all tags). This is because I want my profile to consider these tags and keys. This will be especially useful in areas like Sardinia, where some streams can be used for recreation. Considering the global rise in temperatures, this could also be useful in other areas where the phenomenon is occurring, as it is in Sardinia. For now, I have worked around the problem by adding an additional highway=path or track tag to the existing waterway key, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to map.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
  •