[APP] - version 2.7.X

Started by Menion, October 26, 2012, 16:26:35

joeloc

emailed a smaller map to reproduce the problem.

Btw... locus keeps re-scanning my maps folder over and over again on startup, resulting in very long startup times. When quitting and restarting right away, its blazingly fast. But after a reboot or after using other apps for a while, the whole dir is rescanned. Shouldnt the state be cached somewhere in a persistant file? Seems to me its only cached "in memory" and lost very often.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "joeloc"But after a reboot or after using other apps for a while, the whole dir is rescanned. Shouldnt the state be cached somewhere in a persistant file? Seems to me its only cached "in memory" and lost very often.
As a workaround for startup times I use the setting Global->Locus as system service. Then Locus opens instantly :)
  •  

Menion

this helps? Ah not possible to be a difference, really :)

Problem that Locus rescan all maps is simple. As I was already discuss about it with you Stephan (if I remember correctly), this happen only when there is any map that do not work. In this case, Locus do not have it's initialization cached and is trying to do it next time. Most issues should be already reported, but probably not all yet. So check if you see all maps in your "Personal" tab. At least one will be missing there

And about instant restore after close, it's also pretty simple. Try to close Locus and then immediately start it. It will be visible immediately. Try to close it and wait for example 10 seconds. It will start as usually. Locus usually wait a few seconds till all is completed, and then finally kill application itself. So if you start it immediately, I just restore app from background, nothing more (and no killing will happen)

btw. than you for the map, I'll check it soon and let you know
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joeloc

I thought Locus puts up a requester now for bogus maps. I have seen that once and deleted the offending map. No more requesters appear now, so all maps should work. I can also see them all in the personal maps list.

Locus re-starts in three different ways for me:

1) immediate restore from background, just the same as if the app wasnt quit at all. Makes sense.

2) "quick" start: the "loading... restoring previous state..." window with all the maps and tracks and whatever appears but scrolls through very quickly (ie in less than a second).

3) "slow" start: like 2) but loading the maps takes a very long time (ie 30 seconds) and they scroll by slowly one at a time.

locus does number 3 on the first start after every phone reboot for example. is this correct?
  •  

UKlocusfan

I can't trust Locus Pro anymore  :(

Maybe similar to what joeloc is talking about - but I had 2 Locus crashes during a tracklog that was just under 4 hours.  :(

Unlike joeloc they luckily didnt happen in the background but instead happened as I opened Locus Pro to check my distance traveled and see what POIs were about.  Twice Locus just crashed.  :(

This has been happening with 2.7.x versions for me and I am now gutted to say I have to take my S.E. k750i out with me and a seperate GPS module using trekbuddy to record the track I walk as I simply do not want to walk 4 hours and risk not having a .gpx at the end of it.

Here are a few things I have noticed the last few weeks that are really troubling me about Locus. I state these things only as feedback as I think Locus is superb but recently have honestly considered stopping using it.  :(

1. Seems to use more battery than other releases prior to 2.7.x

2. Importing a gpx file often causes it to crash and I need to open Locus again and try to re-import the gpx. This opening and immediate crash can happen 3 or 4 times before the gpx file finally imports correctly.

3. I never have more than 3 (at the very most) POIs open at any one time in Locus when I am out and about logging my route... but sometimes when just clicking the 'points' tab - Locus will just crash as it did twice yesterday when I was performing very simple operations.

4. When Locus crashes whilst logging a route... it restarts itself which is great... but please please please can it be made to automaticly resume logging because at the moment it puts the logging into 'pause' mode when it restarts and its very easy to forget to take it off pause.  It would be so much better if after a crash it resumed logging.

Well, that my recent experiences on long walks with Locus.  Its gone from being an app I used to look forward to using to one I really like but dread how its doing to act.

I would appreciate any advice or ideas on the above.  Is it worth me installing catlog again and trying to sort out some crash reports?

Thank you.  :)
  •  

berkley

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work the way you want...

About your questions:
(1) Does it just seem to use more battery or does it use more battery?
(2) Can you share (private or public) a gpx file that causes the crash?
(3) + (4) Can't answer that... send logs to Menion.

There are a lot of possibilities for Locus to crash. So best method to find the reason is sending logs to Menion.
When I'm talking about lots of possibilties, I mean questions like:
- How much RAM is available for Locus to operate?
- Are you using vector maps and map rotation while these errors occur?
- Do you display lines to target or lines to GPS while these errors occur?
- Is it just your old phone and the old Android version, which doesn't work correctly?
- and a lot more questions...

When you have these huge problems with Locus and still want them to be fixed, please share some more information.

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

UKlocusfan

Answers contained in the quote below  :)

Quote from: "berkley"Sorry to hear that it doesn't work the way you want...
Thanks Berkey.  It does work the way I want it, thats why I like it so much and have done for years, but recently I'm having far too many problems

About your questions:
(1) Does it just seem to use more battery or does it use more battery?
It does use more battery, I have another thread about this

(2) Can you share (private or public) a gpx file that causes the crash?
This happens on a range of gpx files generated from (so far) 3 different sources. It must have happened on about 10 different gpx files so far and so I am quite confident its not specific to a certain gpx
(3) + (4) Can't answer that... send logs to Menion.

There are a lot of possibilities for Locus to crash. So best method to find the reason is sending logs to Menion.
When I'm talking about lots of possibilties, I mean questions like:
- How much RAM is available for Locus to operate?
Good idea Berkely.  I have been checking this though and it seems I have about roughly 190mb RAM free when Locus is running
- Are you using vector maps and map rotation while these errors occur?
With the battery problem I have had rotation turned off but have been using a 250mb Vector map of England although its never caused problems before I agree it just may be doing something bad in these latest versions of Locus.
- Do you display lines to target or lines to GPS while these errors occur?
Hardly anything displayed. Usually 1 POI I am walking to and quite often a guiding line to the POI
- Is it just your old phone and the old Android version, which doesn't work correctly?
I use android 2.3.5 on an HTC Wildfire S... thats what Locus Crashes on.  I've resorted back to using a 7 year old regular mobile now to log my routes
- and a lot more questions...

When you have these huge problems with Locus and still want them to be fixed, please share some more information.

Cheers, berkley

Thanks Berkley.  :D
  •  

druki

Just for info: I had some trouble twice during import of PocketQueries with GC Live api (Locus ran as service). Locus hang at the last import and I had to kill it (in the systems view of running apps) and restart the phone to have a running Locus again (otherwise it started with the hanging import). I still try to reproduce and next time I let write a catlog.
As soon as I get some more reproducable data, I will let you know.
  •  

berkley

Are you using task killer apps or do you let Android decide, which tasks to kill?
Do you use the setting "Use Locus as a service"?
Is altitude correction turned on while you are offline?
Do you record NMEA data?
Did you change settings for resolution of vector maps?
Do you know, that HTC devices are causing most "Force Closes" for all apps in general?

Questions over questions... btw, sorry for bad english...
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Questions over questions and troubles over troubles - sorry guys

I'll gladly solve all possible problems, but: I need some way to reproduce or find source of problem!! This cannot be done simply by "locus crashed twice today". Sorry, this cannot be solved

1. best way is description step by step that lead to issue. If you write me, tap here, tap here, crash ... perfect
2. second way is log (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... simple_log) + description at which moment this happen
3. if some files cause it (problems with import etc...), this file is more then welcome. Again, when you send me this file, I may simply simulate this problem and immediately fix it!
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: "joeloc"3) "slow" start: like 2) but loading the maps takes a very long time (ie 30 seconds) and they scroll by slowly one at a time.

locus does number 3 on the first start after every phone reboot for example. is this correct?

Locus also does this very frequently when starting, even without rebooting the phone. Basically, whenever I do some other things with my phone and then restart Locus, it always rescans the map folder and makes me wait a long long time. Pretty annoying, especially since scanning just one single big rmap file can take over five seconds (Galaxy Note with a bunch of 3GB rmap files).

Whatever you cache when scanning map files... is not stored properly.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "joeloc"
Quote from: "joeloc"Locus also does this very frequently when starting, even without rebooting the phone. Basically, whenever I do some other things with my phone and then restart Locus, it always rescans the map folder and makes me wait a long long time. Pretty annoying, especially since scanning just one single big rmap file can take over five seconds (Galaxy Note with a bunch of 3GB rmap files).

Whatever you cache when scanning map files... is not stored properly.
Menion, Joeloc, I have a less long startup but still it is annoying and this is exactly the reason why I use the Locus system service.
  •  

Menion

ah forget to mention. Stephan, may you please record for me a long log (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... og_message) when locus start and again initialize maps? In current dropbox version are some debug messages for this task, so I'll see why this happen

also is fixed hiding of some points, so check it please on your map if it works correctly
  •  

dibrial

I cannot log geocaches anymore in 2.7.3. I sent the generated error report. Using JB 4.1 on Motorola XT910.
  •  

joeloc

Quote from: "menion"also is fixed hiding of some points, so check it please on your map if it works correctly
points no longer disappear... problem seems fixed. also mailed a log with an apparently bogus rmap.
  •