What is the difference between both vectormaps providers?

Started by jko, April 23, 2012, 12:12:39

jko

I've two options to get vector maps:

Locus-In-App Shop and vectormaps4locus.eu.

I assume that the maps from Locus-InApp are down-loadable by phone as default up to purchased size limit.

On the other hand I can download vector maps from the above URL and manually unzip and move to SD-Card.

But I wonder: How are these two maps compareable? More POIs, more frequently updates, more ???
What is the difference?

TIA
  •  

Menion

both maps are "same". If you're comfortable with manual downloading, you can use it. Anyway maps in external site are managed by one user here from forum and are actually little bit outdated. System is simple. When I generate new maps for Locus itself (for in-app shop), I send them also to this user to external site. But not everytime :). Currently there are maps from I think February
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

some (all?) maps on vectormaps4locus v0.2...

Menion

correct. In February maps were generated in older 0.2 format. Difference is mainly not supported skinning and some details. New maps on Vectormaps4Locus will be in next generating session ... so probably in first half of May
  •  

berkley

The promises keep getting later and later ;)
From next weekend to end of April to middle of May :D

Well i don't care, have enough GB's in Locus shop :D :P
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

ah sorry ... currently biggest problem is that planet dump of OSM data is not actualized since start of April, so I'm looking for another source

EDIT: damn, anybody know about place for download whole PBF world file later then from start of April?
  •  

gynta

searchin ONE big file?
nop - found only this http://download.geofabrik.de/

Menion

yes I know this site, but it's useless for me.

best place is here http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/openstreetmap.org/pbf/ but even here "planet-latest.osm.pbf " file is three weeks old, hmm...
  •  

jusc

Maybe it will take some time, because OSM is changing the license and at the moment they remove the non compatible data. Perhaps it was the last complete file?

Gesendet von meinem GT-P1000 mit Tapatalk 2
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

ah don't know this. Thanks Jusc!

OK, I'll try to read some blog posts about it (if exist) and if expected time for new data will take a long, I'll generate maps from these last published data
  •