Anouncement: Vector cycle-maps now available

Started by kech61, May 27, 2012, 11:17:12

kech61

Hello,

Finally Mapsforge based cyclemaps with contourlines are available for download.

Many weeks of coding led to a tool that completly rewrites the OpenStreetMap
dataset concerning the cycle relations bevore its feed into the Mapsforge mapwriter.

The quality of the routes is very,very close to the OpenCycleMap.

I'v set up a website with basic informations
- how to install them
- a map legend
- a high contrast render theme

Everone is encouraged to improve the render theme, its pretty easy.
Only ONE additional key with 8 values have to be rendered.
(Netherlands + Belgium need a second one for the cycle nodes)

A pefect base for a transparent theme would be jurajs hiking theme.

The maps are 100% compatible with the osmarender theme.
The borders of the maps are different from the OSM clipbounds,
eg. for Austria I added the border aera of the czech-republic, the NeusiedlerSee, complete Bodensee, Bratilslava, Deutsches Eck etc..

Big countrys are splitt into logical parts (France, Germany) doe to the limtations of my equipment.

If there is realy need of an additional communication platform I will set up a forum,
but - honestly I will try to avoid this.
Locus, Orux and Naviboard forums should be OK at a first glance.

So, now its time for me to start my training, the making of these maps added 4kg to my hips  :shock: , maybe we will meet outdoors  8-)

So, here you can find the maps: //http://www.openandromaps.org

best regard, a plesant summer, happy cycling, walking, paddling or whatever  :mrgreen:
Christian aus der Wachau

Update 2012-06-17

- Added Maps for Portugal and Spain
- All files moved back to GDrive doe to registration issues with Skydrive

Major Update 2012-06-16

- All Maps are updated with the newest OSM Dataset
- New process ensures accurate contourlines at the map borders
- France_South now contains the whole Pyraenes

- Render Theme for Locus updated, better Icons for Toilets and Water sources, some minor improvements

- QR-Codes added for direct download to Smartphone, however - I recommend to download the maps to PC, uncompress the files and upload by USB to phone.
- Most Maps are moved from GDrive to Skydrive

Update 2012-06-04

New German Maps: instead of 3 parts (North,Mid,South) the new maps are combined to North/South upon user request. The Maps already contain the additional cycle ways as mentioned below.

UPDATE 2012-05-30:
An user postet an issue concerning not correct rendered cycle ways in his area:

Problems:
- the designated cicle lanes: the key was to catch k="bicycle" v="designated" [done]
- pseudo relations: this was the first time I have seen them, some ways with keys like lcn=yes and rcn=yes are rendered in the OCM like route relations [done]

With the next mapping run (in a few weeks doe to my limited bandwidth) all maps will have the new resolving.
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

this is absolutely amazing work! Very very nice! (but I'm sure, you already know it :) )
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jurajs

hi kech61,

You were sitting in front of your monitor long enough. Go and loose some weight !!! ;-)
(aka: thanks for your brilliant work and get ready for a robbery. I will steal some ideas from your theme if you dont mind)   :twisted:

jurajs
  •  

jusc

@kech61,
wow, excellent work!!  Thank you very much. Seems to be very usefull for bikers. I´ll go to test it tomorow.

@jurajs
don´t worry. Your work is very amyzing too. I like it very much.   :)
Regards J.
  •  

skids

Please forgive the stupid question - but will I need the full maps to display cycle routes, or can I just use this new theme on jurajs's vector maps? (or do kech61's maps contain additional information needed to render the cycle routes?)
  •  

skids

Sorry I think I have just found the answer here //http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1946

So do these new maps contain all the data in jurajs' maps plus cycle routes, or do I need both maps because they both have unique features?
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "skids"Sorry I think I have just found the answer here //http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1946

So do these new maps contain all the data in jurajs' maps plus cycle routes, or do I need both maps because they both have unique features?

Hi, both maps contain elevation data, only the maps from www.openandromaps.org contain the data for the cycle routes.
Basicly these two maps should contain the same data, (except the cycle tags) but there may be some minor differences concerning the zoom-apperance of some pois and roads.

Try jurajs hiking-theme on the cycle maps and check the appearance of roads and pois.

best regards
Christian
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

wvb

This is great! Thanks a lot for these maps!
We're getting a new bike next month so this will surely come in handy :-)

Sent from my SGSII CM9 with Tapatalk 2
  •  

kech61

@All
Thanks for your kind replies and please don't hesitate to post if you have problems with the maps (beside the known issues) - I rely on your feedback to improve my tools.

@jurajs
Robbery is Ok ;-) but Im afraid you find anything in the Theme that you dont know already.

best regards
Christian
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Jurlui

I am testing it atm in Berlin and it's working very well! Thank you for your hard work!
  •  

col

great work. could this also be applied to hiking routes? also are you interested in making your tool available for others to build custom naps, i often build my own maps with specific contours.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "col"great work. could this also be applied to hiking routes? also are you interested in making your tool available for others to build custom naps, i often build my own maps with specific contours.

Hello Col,

The tools are not for the public, they contain no error-check, not even a check against wrong params these are fed only by "shift" into the programm.
It would take many weeks to release a stable version.

Concerning hiking routes: The answer is Yes and NO.

Yes: look at the attached screenshots, the red lines are the international and national hiking routes of austria, the coloring is similar to the cycle routes.
No: There are a lots of issues concerning the difficulty of the hiking routes. Basicly they should contain a tag named "sac_sale" = swiss alpine club difficult rating.
However, some ways are tagged some not, I checked the ways and fixed rope routes I personly know and .... well....
I dont want to led somone into a fixed rope route where the way is tagged as simple hiking way, this is a serious security issue.

best regards
Christian
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

col

Ok, Thanks.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: "col"Ok, Thanks.

Hi,

While I promissed my wife that I will stay away from the computer during summer, the idea to expand my tools for hiking routes is fixed in my brain.
Please be patient, there is so much work that have to be done, the possibilitys are endless.

I will have to talk to Mappers and Hikers+Climbers whats their demand, what standard theme do they use (SAC, OEAV, Kompass, swissmap....) aso.
For me the rendering has to be seperated into colouring of route type (iwn,nwn....) and clear identification of dificult grade...

However, the first step would be a logging tool to analyse the (real-world) tagging conventions beeing used by mappers.
Setting the ruleset for cycling routes was basicly straight forward, I coded this with one eye on the OCM, for hiking I have to find a similar, existing map or defining my own standard.

best regards
Christian

btw: whats your favorite hiking area, up to which difficult-grade do you walk, if I supply a pre-release-map of your favorite  area (later this summer) could you check it (way by way)?

Please send me a PN
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

skids

I'm guessing that OSM data does not currently contain any information about rocky crags/cliffs/outcrops.  For me this is what sets a good hiking map apart from a vector map that simply contains contour data.

For example, UK Ordnance Survey maps have the location of cliffs/crags at 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 scales. I assume many of the French IGN ones do to.  This is essential when walking in poor visibilty conditions - no one wants to walk off a cliff, thinking it is simply a steep but walkable slope!

I understand that this will not be possible until that information is added to the OSM data, but until that day, for me in the UK, vector maps are a 2nd choice to the Ordnance survey maps, for effective navigation and most importantly SAFETY!
  •