[MANUAL] - navigation voices (18.8.2011)

Started by Menion, August 18, 2011, 12:12:56

Menion

Since version 1.9.8

Locus allow "navigation" along route computed by MapQuest server (or any other)

Here is short description, how to create and use voice files
  • get some voice – I found interesting site here, from where you can download really huge list of probably free voices for TomTom
  • convert voices to some usable format – so, look once more on previous link. There is description, how to use program VIFTOOL. For you are important these steps
    • download voice template and save it to some new HDD folder (e.g. C:my_tomtom_voice). You need to save these 3 voice related files: VIF, CHK and BMP file.
    • download VIFTOOL
    • install downloaded Vif Tool to the folder with the voice template.
    • goto Start > Run > CMD
    • in command window type "CD c:viftool"
    • in command window type "viftool.exe split dataXX.chk" to extract all OGG voice files from tomtom CHK file.
    • you'll get directory full of *.ogg files. And now simply convert all these ogg files into one zip file (only files, not whole directory).
  • so result now will be four files
    • – dataXX.bmp (image (optional))
    • – dataXX.chk (original voices (not needed))
    • – dataXX.vif (description file (required))
    • dataXX.zip (voices (required))

*.VIF and *.ZIP (you can also *.BMP) files, copy directly into Locus/data/nav_audio directory.

INFO: description of all voices is here, together with some more info about this format

INFO: actual 'BETA' system allow to change voices, when you start navigation and tap on arrow symbol
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Rob

Hi,
did not get voices to be played. Installed correctly, can switch between Yoda, DarthVader, Arnie,..showing "process successfully" but do not hear anything. Set sound to max, but quess there is more setting to set. But where?
Turns are shown correctly, car is displayed, everything looks fine - except the silence
Pls help with this great feature.
Thx
regards
Rob
  •  

Menion

pretty simple answer ... sounds to play are computed by actual speed. When you only move with cursor over map at home, you'll hear nothing. Go out around a house ;)
  •  

Rob

Oh, I understand.
Thx menion - pretty good work!
Rob

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
  •  

ymerejo42

Just a quick question, do voices work in Free, too, or Pro only?
  •  

Menion

"unfortunately" don't work ... whole navigation system is only in PRO version ...
  •  

r2d2

Hi,

did someone the steps above to create voice-files and have the possibility to share it in a compressed file?
Ok, I did'nt try it. But a collection of languages (like the vector-maps) would be great to download or directly to install ;-)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

R2D2
  •  

r2d2

Hi Menion,

a little correction in your sample-file (sorry for my accuracy): the voice R2D2 should renamed in C3PO, cause R2D2 can unfortunately not speak in words :-)
  •  

Menion

ah, sure, you're correct :) ... this was mistake already in downloaded file and I wasn't think about it ...
  •  

WorldO

When you only move with cursor over map at home, you'll hear nothing. Go out around a house ;)????