Compass should not lock when Sensor 'Auto Change' is enabled

Started by ugk, June 15, 2011, 11:52:09

ugk

Firstly, great app - I happily paid for the license.

When the hardware comapss is disbaled, the compass display is 'driven' by the GPS, which is good.

However, when enabling the compass and enabling 'Auto Change', the compass display is correctly driven by the hardware compass at speeds below 1m/s; but it freezes at 0 deg azimuth above 1m/s.  I would have expected that the compass would then be driven by the GPS, as is the case for a disabled hardware compass.  
Are you planning to implement this?

Thanks.
  •  

Menion

hmm looks like this no one used before :) you're correct, there was a problem, so fixed now. Thanks. Anyway please test it (I probably forgot when I go out) and let me know if any problem remain
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ugk

Thanks, that was quick!  It works well.

Have you considered switching back from GPS derived to magnetic compass when the speed falls below the selected threshold when 'Auto Change' is enabled?

Also, to make it obvious if the GPS derived or the magnetic compass is used, it would be great to have some indication, such as 'GPS derived' or 'Magnetic' directly underneath the compass - perhaps on the same row as 'Pitch' and 'Roll'.
  •  

Menion

you're welcome. I hope that it correctly switch back when Auto-change is enabled. Don't expect that it switch immediately. It should take some time (few sec max) before switch. I apply small filter to speed to prevent some often switching when you're going at speed around "Auto-switch" value

about notification, hmm maybe good idea, just have to consider where and what place ... thanks for tip
  •  

ugk

Thanls for your reply.  This time I waited quite a while when the vehicle was stopped and, yes, it did switch back to magnetic compass.
Switching back to magnetic just takes much longer than switching to GPS when moving above the switch speed - guess I simply didn't wait long enough before reporting the issue.
  •  

Menion

nono there was problem before. You were correct! It takes some time, that's true. I'll test it also if it do not take too much. It's due to some filtering I apply on speed value for this switch ... as I wrote before :). If this will take really long time (maybe more then 5 - 10 sec), I'll reduce filter ...
  •