live update of waypoints from the gsak database addon does not work anymore ;-(

Started by marujave, August 06, 2018, 11:44:15

Menion

Difference is:
import: you tap on action defined by the add-on, so you simply start add-on and it do any one-time action > load data and send them to Locus prepare for import
live map: Locus send to add-on information: "hey new data are here, do whatever you want with them" and add-on have to wake up and load data and send them to Locus prepared for direct display on the map

Why does the second method not work? Do not know. Change one for another? Firstly, I'm not the developer of this add-on, secondly, Geocaching4Locus use an exactly same method and works correctly.

I'll try to look on this more carefully next week when there will be a free moment ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

bongo

hi menion

nice to hear that you'll have a look at this problem - hope this will end up in a good solution ;-)

as far as i understand, when doing an import, this action is initiated by tapping on a symbol within locus, i.e. in the end it is locus that starts the addon for this one-time-action.
so i would expect that locus should be able to automatically launch this one-time-action after moving around the map - just as a possible workaround if it's really impossible to get the legacy way working again.

thank you very much for your support!
  •  

bongo

hi menion
"next week" is almost over. did you already have time to take a look at this problem?
regards
bongo
  •  

c.s.g.

Hi bongo,

I think the offer of menion to look for a workaround of a problem that is caused by a no longer supported addon and not by Locus itself is much more you can expect.

So I think a liitle bit more patience would be appropriate.

c.s.g.
  •  

Menion

Thanks c.s.g.,
I was looking at this. My idea was to download add-on source code, create own version that will allow me to check communication between add-on and Locus Map.

Unfortunately, the source of the app and the necessary tools around this project are so old (6+ years), that with current methods I'm simply not able to create own version.

The solution should be to convert it to a new build system and switch to the latest Locus Map API, but my estimate is 2+ days to make it all work. And sorry, I do not have it now for this task.

Do not know what exactly is. My test ends with the crash that no database is set, even it isn't true. Hard to say what is wrong, but unfortunately, I do not have a simple solution, sorry.
  •  

bongo

sure, i'm patient - i was just curious to know if there is any progress ;-)

so now, this is quite bad news ;-(

but one question:
did you have the problem about "no database set" only with your reworked version, or also with the original version of the addon, taken from google play?
i think if the database is placed in a wrong folder, you get this result as the addon is not able to access it (i think i once had this problem too).

what i can say for the actual situation is, that the addon is able to access the database independent of the android version.
this is because it is able to manually load the waypoints from the database to locus.
so if this also does not work in your test, it might be a config problem.

so maybe, the problem you noticed is not really the actual problem of the addon.

on my phone, the database has to be located under:
Android/data/net.kuratkoo.locusaddon.gsakdatabase/gdaklocus/sqlite.db3

if i put it somewhere else, it does not work.

still hoping that there will be a solution...

regards & thanx for your support!
  •  

marujave

Hi all

I'm patient too, but nevertheless I'm curious if there are some news concerning this problem.

Thank you for a short status report about this issue.

Best regards
marujave
  •  

Menion

•  

marujave

Are there plans to fix this issue in the near future?

Are there no other Locus users that have (or will have) the same problem?

Is there another solution to display geocaches in Locus that are imported from a GSAK DB?
  •  

Saturo

•  

Werner_Kastanek

I have also the problem, that  both Locus-addons (GSAK database and (!!! ) the GeoGet database) are not working anymore. After an Android update 8.0 the waypoints are not displayed in the livemap. The same database is correct displayed on an older Android version (6.0).

As workaround I import the caches from the database.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

•  

marujave

Exporting Caches from GSAK (you don't write how, but I think you mean as GPX) and then importing them in Locus is really a pain, compared by the smart solution with the gsak database addon with live update of the map.

It's really a pitty, that there is no solution of this very smart feature is planned...
  •  

Werner_Kastanek

I import the caches to Locus via Main menu - > More functions - > Load geocaches from GSAK database.
I do not import GPX files directly, sometimes I use Geocaching4Locus. E.g. Listen importieren or Import Caches of livemap.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel C mit Tapatalk

•  

marujave

@Werner_Kastanek: I do this as well, at least since the live update isn't working anymore. It was the proposal of Saturo, to export geocaches and then import them. In my last post I was commenting this.

However, GSAK addon with live update is the smartest solution to show geocaches in Locus and from my point of view, something that makes Locus really excellent compared to other moving map apps.

If someday the GSAK addon won't work at all (hopefully it comes not to that) we will have to export caches and import them  :(
  •