Show track name along the track

Started by Jeremy Schwab, June 19, 2018, 19:52:23

Jeremy Schwab

I store a lot of track segments in locus, similar to how Open Street Maps is set up.  I like how OSM shows the track name along the segment, it's much better than hovering or clicking etc.  Is this possible to show the track names along my own segments in Locus?
  •  

Menion

Good day Jeremy,
interesting idea. This may be useful for optimized tracks, but definitely not for own recorded tracks that suffer by "jumping" GPS locations.

So sorry, not possible for now.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

Really nice idea, Jeremy! Would like to use it too.
Not sure if @menion understood it right...
These track segments are not different than own recorded tracks: same inaccuracy, only for private use, not on maps.
Its a kind of different labelling only... or am I wrong?
So why not putting this idea on help desk?
  •  

Menion

I understand, it is not a problem. I was worried about the shape of tracks & texts along.
Anyway, I had just tried quick implementation and seems there is a serious performance problem in case of high zooms.
So it's doable, but it needs a lot of time to find some working optimization. So sorry, not possible now.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Jeremy Schwab

Thanks, Locus is really a top notch app so I rely solely on the very advanced functionality of the tool... I haven't found anything similar.  But I am struggling with it's use in using & compiling track segments and feel there could be additional functionality built in (if the developers so desire). 

For example, displaying tracks or routes could use improvements IMO (as is the point with this topic). 

Additonally, when a track overlaps (on a loop), it's very hard to see which one you're on and where to go.  Navigation works, but sometimes we get off track.  But regardless, I'd like to look at the track without going into navigation mode.

Another dream feature is better track segment tagging... rather than just a "folder" type  structure.  Activity type is great, but perhaps it's multiple activities?  Tracks should be searchable by tag too (folder is too limiting and hard to organize).

Lastly, the ability to filter and apply colour/formatting to multiple tracks would be great too.

I use Trail Forks to get segments, which are organized very nicely.  They've so kindly allowed downloading their tracks to GPX, KML, etc.  However, to build on that I also have many hiking and other trails that I've compiled from various sources (not necessarily in OSM or Trailforks).  Perhaps just for personal reasons.

Of course, last dream feature would be to use Locus in Windows without an emulator!!!   =P

Thanks for all you do to keep this app first in class.  I love it... I just wish I could organize my segments better... they're a mess!
  •  

Jeremy Schwab

Attached are some examples of how I use Locus.  Thanks!
  •