Cadence sensor view

Started by sbouju, May 26, 2018, 12:35:34

sbouju

Just begining to test a fresh&cheap&chinese ANT+ cadence sensor in Locus...

My first question: what means "min-1", as unit ?

In this under screenshot, the value is 0, but I precise now that it can be other values, if I shake the sensor.

•  

sbouju

Another screenshot, the Ant+ sensor being glued at the extremity of a turning little electric screwdriver...

And it seems to me that this this interfer a little with the GPS speed indication (near bottom right), as the smartphone was not moving, at this same time...

•  

Menion

Hello sbouju,
funny :).
"min-1" is the shortcut for "cadence per one minute". Any suggestion to make it more clear?
Interesting that this interferes with speed value. I may guarantee that no such connection exists in code, so both values should be completely independent. Isn't on dashboard visible sensor speed instead? If you have speed & cadence sensor, it may then do something ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: sbouju

sbouju

Quote from: menion on May 29, 2018, 16:30:14
Hello sbouju,
funny :).
"min-1" is the shortcut for "cadence per one minute". Any suggestion to make it more clear?
Interesting that this interferes with speed value. I may guarantee that no such connection exists in code, so both values should be completely independent. Isn't on dashboard visible sensor speed instead? If you have speed & cadence sensor, it may then do something ...
Ah, OK... I had never seen it, and so, it is quite the same thing than the more usual "RPM", when there is a rotation/revolution somewhere ! ;)

Not well understood the end of your answer, but this very little sensor is only for sending a cadence, and with no other part or accessory (except th smartphone!) to convert this in other thing, even if the sended unit is a revolution...

I currently try to see if this little standalone ANT+ sensor can be a reliable source of data with my electric unicycle in order to have my current speed with a good precision, and also because all the others tested solutions are not very satisfying !

Any chance to have an option for customizing the item "Sensor/Cadence" of the dashboard for a direct view of the speed, if pertinent, rather than the cadence?
  •  

Menion

Ah "rpm", that's what I missed, thanks :).

About visible speed value: I'm not sure how this may be done. The cadence sensor is usually placed on the pedals and for this: one step is not always the same speed. Because of this usually exists combined speed & cadence sensors where is also the second magnet that is placed into the wheel.

Anyway, in this case, I have really no idea from where speed values come. Maybe some quick GPS glitch?
  •  

sbouju

As it implies a rotation, "RPM" is not perfect, for a cadence, witch can be another mouvement like back/forth, up/down, etc...
So, the unit "m-1" is probably the best. And I just see in Wikipedia that Hz ("hertz") is also s-1...
  •  

Menion

In case of "cadence sensor", isn't this always about rotation? At least I can't imagine other usages of these small sensors. But understand that for example step-counter sensor should not display 100 steps / min as a 100 rpm.
  •  

sbouju

Quote from: menion on May 29, 2018, 23:10:25
In case of "cadence sensor", isn't this aways about rotation?

In this under example, the cadence sensor is installed on my left shoe, and I am walking inside my house, so the sensor has no rotation at all...

Its measure is 27, here, which represents an instant speed of 54 steps of (something like...) 80 cm in one minute, which can be converted in a (realistic...) speed of 2,592 km/h  ;)

•  

john_percy

Or as we native English writers would put it, 2.592 km/h.
For us 2,592 km/h is the unrealistic speed of 2 592 km/h.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •