How to mitigate screen shaking

Started by Zenon_K56, February 19, 2018, 00:21:19

Zenon_K56

After turning on application and turning on the center & rotate control, we can see that screen map shaking (moves) all the time. It makes orientation and reading map details a nightmare.

Is there a solution to mitigate screen shaking when centre & rotate controls are on (no navigation is on) ?

P.S.  If mitigation is not possible than maybe it is possible to implement a solution which would limit the screen trembling. That would help people who just wander, but would like to control their position on the displayed and oriented map.

•  

Menion

Hello,
are you using compatibility mode ( in menu > settings > sensors )? If so, try to disable it if it helps.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Zenon_K56

It took me a while to show on the video film a problem with a shaking map on the Locus screen:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zenon_k56/39502562995/in/album-72157693687317525/

When we walk, it is normal that our hand and phone shake. However, a map on the phone screen should not shake so much like map on phone screen with Locus.

Please forgive me that to show the problem I had to show behavior of  Locus and another application in which problem of shaking screen, when location and rotate options are on, has been mitigated.

I follow your recommendation but it does not help. I would say that the problem is not in the setting but in "too high accuracy of Locus", which is good for computers but not for human senses.
  •  

Christian

Years ago i switched of option to turn the screen due to this problem. Haven't find any solution.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Did you try zoomlevel 15? It seems less at lower zoom levels.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Zenon_K56

In the above listed film, you can see not only Locus, but also the other application, in which screen turn is ON (read: a map rotation is ON).

The map of the second application does not shake like a Locus map on screen and turns when I keep my hand turn for a longer time. You can also notice that the zoom level of this application is similar to Locus zoom. 

Most likely, the second application has implemented a map rotation /shaking delay software module to mitigate the map shaking on the screen.

Therefore, if for the time being the Locus software has no that kind of module than maybe it is high time to have it.

Shall create a related new topic in Locus wish list in this forum or should I leave it as it is?

P.S.
When I first time install Locus free, immediate I have noticed that a Locus map on my phone shakes (rotates left and right) too much. Well, I thought the map shakes because I have free version of Locus.
Then I buy Locus, but I played with many possible Locus settings, compass, ect, but no success - the Locus map has shaking behavior on the screen 
  •  

Menion

Good day guys,
Zenon_K56, thank you for a video. It is quite interesting behavior that I did not noticed on any of my own devices. For me it definitely looks like some problem in software of your device > incorrect filter set for a orientation values.
Locus itself use own filter, but seems it is not so strong.
Oki, in next Locus Map version will be added new parameter "hardware_compass_filter" into config.cfg file. Current value is equal to "10". No matter what it mean, it will be possible to set it up to value 50, so try it with next Locus Map version and let me know.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Zenon_K56

Zenon_K56

I am sorry that I assumed that a Locus map shaking on the screen is visible on each smartphone.

Thank you very much for very good news and your openness to solve my problem in the next version of Locus.

With very best regards,

Zenon.
  •  

Zenon_K56

I have just installed Locus Pro 3.30.4 and change the value of parameter (hardware_compass_filter) from 10 to 50. Well, maybe I need more time to see an vital difference.

If it is possible, please let me know if I can play with the value of hardware_compass_offset and what is its scope and what is its meaning (now default value is hardware_compass_offset=0)

Thanking you in anticipation of your answer.

With kind regards,

Zenon.
  •  

Menion

Hello,
firstly sorry for a late response.

hardware_compass_offset: as wrote in description ... it is offset value in degrees that is simply added to every received orientation value. So if you defined 90, compass should rotate by 90° to the right.

hardware_compass_filter: defined number say, how many last values will be averaged. Usually app receive around 20 values per second.
  •  

Zenon_K56

Hello,

I would say that NTR (noting special to report) up today. That's why, I am writing after so long break, but today it is time to warm up this old pork chop :-)

I have just noticed in OsmAnd general settings, that default value of Kalman filter to reduce noise in compass readings is always ON (to avoid compass aberrations). Reading more I have found out that Kalmana filter ON reduces noise in compass readings but increase inertia.

Most likely due to the Kaufman filter the inertia of OsmAnd screen is slow and therefore friendly for our senses (if this inertia concerns screen shaking)

Maybe Kaufman filter is also implemented in Locus. If yes than maybe it will be worth to play with some settings for this filter in Locus to increase inertia of Locus screen (or give the Locus users possiblity to change it via additional new setting)

Whoever uses and knows Locus can only confirm not only my opinion that Locus is the best.

Thanking you in anticipation of your consideration,

With kind regards,

Zenon.

•