OpenAndroMaps not showing up under maps

Started by NickJP, December 10, 2017, 02:32:08

NickJP

I downloaded the OpenAndroMap France North and France South maps within Locus on my phone by tapping on the Download link in the web browser on www.andromaps.org and choosing to open the link with Locus. The downloads appeared to complete successfully, but the maps don't appear to be there. When I zoom in on France beyond being able to see about half the country on the screen, the map just goes blank, and when I look in Locus under menu / Maps / offline, the France maps don't appear there.

For each download a message appeared on the phone screen at the end of the download:

I wasn't sure what this meant but I answered Yes each time. Any suggestions on what has happened?
  •  

michaelbechtold

Hi Nick,
do you have enough SD space on the storage where the downloaded ZIP file resides ?
If not: do the OAM download on a PC, unzip it there, and load the ready maps to the Smartphone via USB cable, network, whatever works beste for your PC - Android connection.

PS: diskusage is a perfect tiny app that shows you graphically there space is (mis-) used on internal and external SD cards.
And in particular France is nice - those maps are huge,m so you will easily spot their current ZIP file locations.
  •  

NickJP

The problem isn't lack of space. The phone is a Google Pixel 128Gb with about 82Gb still free, and it doesn't have an SD card slot. I can download/update Locus store maps on the phone without any problem. I did a search with Astro file manager on the phone and couldn't find either the downloaded zip files or the France map files anywhere.

I downloaded the maps on the PC, and copied them to the Locus/mapsVector/europe folder on the phone, and they were then visible in Locus. But that doesn't explain why the download on the phone appeared to work but the maps were not there.
  •  

c.s.g.

Just a guess ....

as you can read here (sorry only in german), there was a change in the server structure of OpenAndroMaps, i. e.

• Umzug des Servers zu Hetzner
  • Noch striktere Trennung von Webserver und Kartentransfer (download.openandromaps.org)
  • Umstellung des Webservers auf HTTPS

Maybe this causes the trouble, when trying to download the maps directly to Locus.
  •  

Menion

Good day Nick,
may you please describe more precisely on what button you click on OAM web page?
Because based on your screenshot on first post, it looks more like you clicked directly on some zip file, which Locus Map handle like a file suitable for import into database (points/tracks) and not like a map.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

NickJP

Yes, I think you're right - I tapped on the download button rather than tapping on the + symbol and then tapping on "Android install on Locus". I just tried installing The Azores (small download) and it was successful, placing the map in the Locus/mapsVector folder.
  •