Get coordinates from adress

Started by suchar, December 13, 2010, 13:15:04

suchar

Hi,

I miss the opportunity to get the coordinates from address in this way:
When I save POI without address and coordinates and later when I want edit this POI, there is no way how to get coordinates from address. Only way is create new POI.
It's possible to add option when I edit POI ?

How does the 'search' works? eg. I would like to find trainstation in Lyon, but I don't know the  exact address. What I have to put in the search box?

Thanks
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  you mean - you save point "somewhere" with some description and later you want to set correct coordinates on exact address?? :) it's little weird ... and why you save point on some imaginary coordinates?

about searching - method in locus is only reverse geocoding. This mean then when you write address and click OK, Locus send request on google server, which find coordinates for this address. Ability to search something like train station is not available. If you know some web site which offer this, I should implement this also ..
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

suchar

sometimes I'm abroad without data connection. I save point without coord. and later online a edited the right coordinates. I know, it's little bit weird :o)

To the searching ...
From my beginning with android I'm using the app. GeOrg. There is an option for searching anything like "railway station Paris", then the list is displayed and you can pick the correct result of search. GeOrg has good tools to work with points, maybe you can inspired.
I like Locus, because there is very easy and nice work with maps, but the work with POI would like to improve.
  •  

Menion

OK, so my informations from 15-minutes testing -
  • searching ability of Georg is same as Locus. Use same internal searching method, so "railway station paris" found same location on both programs!
  • user interface of Georg is really ugly. It takes me a lot time to find how whole program work. Hope that Locus is not same. As a developer, I cannot say surely, because it's my child, you know... :)
  • Georg have a lot more functions which you can use to work with points. That's nice when you're ... how to say ... geek? I'm a little but I don't want too complicated program to work with maps. In Locus I prefer less functions but as easy as possible.

So ... verdict - searching work as you need I hope. Your problem with editing coordinates, I'll think about it, but cannot promise. Seems for me as not very usable function when you have ability to long click on map and save point on position which you want!

PS: by all this discussion, I don't want to say, that I don't like new ideas. Whatever useful is possible ;)
  •  

Menion

finally added in new version (0.9.7). You can now edit point coordinates on edit screen is same way, as you create new point (choose from various sources) ...
  •