WikiLocation feature and alternative

Started by michaelbechtold, August 17, 2017, 21:16:37

michaelbechtold

Hi Menion, just wondered if you took the WikiLocation databases from Ben back in 2014 ? Or would you consider using the new and supported and official Wikipedia API that Ben mentions in his services termination post of 2014 ?   TXs and cheers from France Michael

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

voldapet

Hi Michael,
menion asked me to help him with this topic. Honestly I don't know if there was any previous discussion about Wikilocation. However would please give me more info about whole idea?
Thank you
Petr
  •  

michaelbechtold

Currently Locus does use WikiLocation in the resp. search function. Now: based on the author's statement (Ben Dodsdon) WikiLocation is no longer active. Hence the question if Locus uses old data from 2014 or what else ...
TXs and cheers
Michael

•  

Menion

Ah I though you talk about some "wikipedia" offline usage.

Locus for quite a long time use API from Geonames: http://www.geonames.org/maps/wikipedia.html
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: menion on August 18, 2017, 11:34:43
Ah I though you talk about some "wikipedia" offline usage.

Locus for quite a long time use API from Geonames: http://www.geonames.org/maps/wikipedia.html
I see. But when you use Wikipedia search in Locus then at the bottom you quote Ben's copyright. But you miss to show Geonames copyright, correct ?

The offline thing is still of interest for me (and others who travel outside 'always on' areas), but you are right, this is a different topic :-)

•  

Menion

Ah damn you are right, I've changed service and forget to change attribution!
Thanks and sorry mainly to "geonames". Fixed.

And offline wiki will be probably one of nearest step for Petr over winter ... I'm also looking forward to it ;).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •