Map overlay with protected nature areas?

Started by twil69, May 22, 2017, 10:35:37

twil69

I frequently do "location scouting" for new geocaches while on a tour.

It would be desirable to check the protection status of the area of a potential hiding spot already while being there. This would also allow for searching a problem-free alternative in case of conflicts.
My usual source for this kind of information is this website, where I can activate various layers:
Here an example.

However, the "workflow" is pretty ineffective, as one would detect potential conflicts only after the tour.
Is there a way of achieving this in Locus, preferrably with an additional overlay on the offline map?
  •  

balloni55

QuoteIs there a way of achieving this in Locus, preferrably with an additional overlay on the offline map
yes, with a WMS online overlay :)
add attached link with "+button/ add manually" to WMS tab
http://geodienste.bfn.de/ogc/wms/schutzgebiet?
you can select different  areas which are displayed as overlay ;D
Wolfgang
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: twil69

twil69

Great, just tried it successfully.
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply ;D
  •  

twil69

Minor improvement: is there a way to influence the rendering of the individual layers?
Especially the FFH/Natura 2000 areas are barely visible.
  •  

Menion

Unfortunately this is not possible. What you see is prepared on WMS server, not in Locus Map, so it's not possible to modify it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

balloni55

@ twil69
to get a better overview of these areas i use  at first moment map themes "City or Road"
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

twil69

Thanks menion and balloni55.

I was afraid that the formatting cannot be influenced by Locus, as the colours resemble the ones on the website that provides the wms data.
This in turn also brought me to the solution proposed by balloni55: Since on the website the FFH areas are sufficiently good visible I thought of varying the base map in Locus to increase the contrast. Switchit to "City" helps,  I will further play around with it.
(Initially I was hoping the night mode may help, but the additional layer is inverted too  >:( )
  •