Kmz files and Locus

Started by batalhadematos, February 19, 2017, 01:41:33

batalhadematos

Hi all,
I am new to Locus and it was referred by a friend.
I was looking for an app that allow me to use my own kmz maps with gps support and I am testing Locus free version.

I have followed some instructions for using kmz files without sucess. Used the import option, copied the file to Lotus/mapItems folder, added a reference to a folder with offline maps and none of them worked for me.

Any solution tried just doesn't work. I simple cannot see the maps on Locus main window.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong which is usual o:), but before insisting on the same errors need you to tell me if there is some kmz limitations I need to take into account before using them.

All kmz works fine on google earth but perhaps there are some limitations for using them on Locus, like file size, image pixels, etc.

The kmz's are made of real maps there were reprojected.

Also tried a 250+ MB .map file from another app I use and worked fine. The problem is just with kmz files.

Hope to hear from you asap

Thank you all

Best regards

Paulo
  •  

balloni55

Hello Paulo,
copy map.kmz to locus/mapitems is the right way for use with locus

If i remember correctly, menion wrote that size of kmz items should be maximum ~25 MB
What is the size of your kmz maps?

Wolfgang
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

batalhadematos

Thank you Wolfgang,

I have already tested as you refer. My maps are all 100MB+ size and I believe this is the problem.

If at least I know the "limitations" (size, image pixels, etc.) I can try to convert the maps and achieve supported maps.

Thank you once again

Regards

Paulo
  •  

balloni55

Hello Paolo,
do you know  "mapc2mapc" to convert your kmz maps to sqlite
You can test if it work for you with the free version. The result of the free version has some red crossed tiles :-[
But if it work for you, you can purchase it
Wolfgang
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Hmm 100+ MB maybe should not be a problem in case, map is separated to smaller ground overlays parts. I think that maximum usable size of tile in GroundOverlay is 1024x1024, bigger will always cause a troubles.

Do you know how big tiles are in your huge files? Or you may share one problematic with us here and I'll look at it.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •