Garmin .img road labels not showing

Started by lapoune, February 04, 2017, 20:06:51

lapoune

Hi,

I am using this app for ATV trails navigation and so far it's awesome. I use openandromaps for the basemap then overlay a Garmin img that I cleaned up on top.

My only problem with this right now is that the trail labels don't show up (they are setup as standard road labels).

Any way to make them show?

Thanks!
  •  

Menion

Good day lapoune,

Garmin IMG files are supported by Locus Map, but! ... not well. Improvements are currently not in program on next weeks/months.

Anyway if you send me some img file for test and if possible also some screenshot/photo, how it should look like for example on real garmin device, I may at least look at it and say you if there is something I may do with it. Thanks for understanding.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lapoune

Hello!

I can't seem to find how to attach the map files in a pm. Can you pm me an email address? They are very small.

I have also tried using the map converted as a KML, and it would work pretty well, except that for some reason it becomes very slow (compared to orux or backcountry nav with the same KML loaded). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've attached pictures of how it renders in google earth vs locus. In locus you can see the start and end of every track as little dots, maybe this contributes to the slowness?

For the .img I've attached 2 images showing the map in GPSmapedit on PC, you can see the codes for the types or road (Locus renders this fine) but I have also attached a picture of the codes for the road labels, maybe it can help you identify what to look for.

The ultimate goal of all this is to use Locus as a Topo map with ATV trails (or hiking, bike whatever). Is there a better way of doing this (overlaying a considerable amount of tracks on top of a topo map)? I would think this would be a popular usage case.

Thanks a lot!
  •  

Menion

Hello,
fine, send me your smaller maps on jiri.mlavec@asamm.com . Because I didn't touch code around IMG rendering maybe for more then year, I can't imagine how much work this will be. But I may invest a while at least to check it.

You may attach kml as well, so I may check it's performance problems. And yes, dot's may cause troubles if there is too much of them. It is possible to disable start/stop icons for all tracks in settings.
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: menion on February 05, 2017, 11:03:40It is possible to disable start/stop icons for all tracks in settings.
Where, please?
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Settings > maps > Points & Tracks > Track icons > No symbol
  •  

lapoune

Just sent you the maps!

They are both identical, I simply exported out the kml from the garmin img in gpsmapedit, then resaved it in google earth so that Locus could read it properly. It is quite big, at around 2500 tracks (it's the whole track network).

So far, turning off the points didn't seem to help with the kmz :(

Thanks a bunch
  •  

lapoune

It turns out the road label actually seem to be working. I'm not sure if something was wrong with my img file, but after reimporting one I was modifying, the road labels show at the higher zoom levels.

Thanks!
  •