[APP] - version 3.20.x (31. 10. 2016+)

Started by Menion, October 26, 2016, 14:37:28

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on December 05, 2016, 09:28:19
...On single wave event, Locus should react as soon as possible.
@menion - it appears the display toggles on the "trailing edge" i.e. when hand is removed. Could Locus react faster if display toggles on the "leading edge" i.e. when hand is detected? This would save 0 to 2 seconds of delay.

Quote from: menion on December 05, 2016, 09:28:19
...Problem with " I just hold hand over sensor, and maybe 50ms later display toggles" is as I wrote ... how to detect for example device placed to pocket?
@menion - separate flipcase mode? it appears in order to accommodate the flipcase scenario the single wave mode is compromised.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

But there should be really no delay. It's all about what is "wave"? You wants mode "cover". So simple cover of sensor trigger change. Currently it's in mode "wave", which means "cover" and "uncover". Immediately when Locus detect this uncover activity, screen should "toggle".

I now cannot say if current solution is perfect, because on me & bike it's too cold out now :) and unfortunately without some field tests, hard to say ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

I think we agree. You say "cover" and "uncover" so there is a delay. "uncover"=my term "trailing edge". I was just suggesting "toggle" on "cover" (leading edge) instead of "uncover". No need for field testing, should work just as well in office. Now even with thick gloves I can toggle the display, previously I had difficulty feeling where the tiny power button was. Other good news - I haven't noticed any increased power consumption on short 2hr ride. Normally 2%/hr with track recording, 3%/hr with track+navigation. Will do 13hr ride on weekend to confirm these numbers.
  •  

john_percy

So why do I keep getting this Activate Device Administrator screen now. Not all time, but every so often.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

michaelbechtold

Seeing a consistent FC in the moment I activate Live Tracking in latest Beta. Anybody else ? Deleting all data in Android does not fix it.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

Andrew Heard

@menion - another idea/ observation/ suggestion regards gesture control - I've noticed a few times, not many but still annoying, that when I gesture to turn on the display, that a menu or screen or other app is displayed because the gesture is also a tap. I find the most reliable way to register as an object is to hold my palm over the IR sensor, but of course there is risk that Android thinks I am tapping display. With non-conductive gloves it then becomes impossible to return to the main map without taking off the gloves. Suggestion: would it be possible to have a short period after turning the display on in which all taps are ignored? I can't think of any reason a user would gesture then expect to accurately tap within say 100ms.
  •  

Andrew Heard

@0709 has just recorded a video https://youtu.be/uTJNALgAawE demonstrating leading & trailing edge trigger of display toggle. His DSTO app is using leading edge trigger, and is clearly more responsive than Locus single wave trailing edge trigger.

Related, and good news, I had suspected that Sony Xperia "stamina" power saving mode was causing unreliability of Locus gesture mode - I had a "theory" that after a period of inactivity Stamina mode was turning off the IR sensor. But I've now done many hours riding and testing, and Stamina mode has made no difference, and more importantly there was no obvious increase in power consumption with IR sensor turned on with Stamina mode disabled and gesture enabled.
  •  

Andrew Heard

@menion - have you recently improved navigation behavior for situation where initial position is not directly on the track? I had observed in the past that with auto-recalculation off, sometimes when navigation is started the large question mark icon never changes to a proper turn icon even once position is directly along the navtrack:

I have been testing this again and certainly for a few walking tests with 3.20.1.8 I now observe that navigation may switch between question and distance icon a few times, but will correctly stabilize once the track is reached:

Maybe you improved behavior but forgot to mention in release notes? If so, thanks for the worthwhile improvement.
  •  

Menion

@john_percy: this screen should appear just once. After you tap on "activate", for current install of Locus Map, it should not appear anymore. But you see it everytime, Locus tries to turn on/off screen?

@michalebechtold: I have no such experience, sorry. Log needed

@Andrew Heard: issue with Locus Map vs DSTO application is still the same ... how DSTO detect if device is covered by cover or placed into pocket? I consider current solution as final. If you need something like DSTO, then why don't use this application for this task?

And behavior was little bit improved for navigation started off the track. Good to hear it works fine now.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Should have reported earlier: I deleted the ID and created a new one. Now no FC any more with LifeTracking :-)
  •  

Menion

thanks willy, issue on 4.x devices, damn ... I'll fix it tomorrow ...
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on December 08, 2016, 12:32:39
how DSTO detect if device is covered by cover or placed into pocket?
@menion - DTSO (not DSTO) has separate flipcover & "single wave" configuration, so subtly different use-cases in-pocket and on-handle-bars are optimised instead of one-size-fits-all compromise solution; don't get me wrong - it's still a great feature

I consider current solution as final. If you need something like DSTO, then why don't use this application for this task?
pity, It would be interesting to see how many users are actually using Locus gesture as there has been so little comment, DTSO didn't work for me when I tried it a year ago; I have just installed the latest version, it now turns on the display with single wave on "leading edge", so very quick & responsive, although I can't get it to turn off the display; I'll discuss with @0709; the Locus implementation does work but I think could just be improved further; I love Locus & tell everyone about it, but if Locus aims to be the best GPS app for cyclists then why have to install another app for even better gesture control

Another reason to favor Locus: DTSO is working for all apps whereas I only want gesture control to operate while running Locus. DTSO can be disabled of course but...

And behavior was little bit improved for navigation started off the track. Good to hear it works fine now.
in few short tests, navigation start has improved a lot, previously sometimes never "started", now actually works
  •  

zossebart

Quote from: Andrew Heard on December 08, 2016, 23:11:07
pity, It would be interesting to see how many users are actually using Locus gesture as there has been so little comment

I also use gesture for display on/off all the time when riding mtb with my Sony Z1 Compact. The single wave detection with current non-BETA versions is not perfect, but "OK" I think.
Actually, waving in front of the phone doesn't work very reliable for me, I have to wave pretty near by the sensor for the detection to work, so I ended up touching the front of the phone where the sensor is located much like pressing an "invisible" button. Anyway, it still is a lot easier than finding and pressing the tiny power button on the side of the phone! So it's ok for me.
I guess the distance for reliable detection might be different with every phone model. Maybe Locus could implement a "calibration mode" for the sensor in order to adept to different phones/sensors?

One problem with gesture control I'm experiencing is it's behaviour in my pocket. When I forget to disable gesture activation and put the phone into my pocket while Locus is still active, I oftentimes end up with the phone in some settings menu or even "writing" a message to someone ;-)
Maybe this could be improved somehow.

I did not have the time to test the modified gesture control with the current BETA, though.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: zossebart on December 09, 2016, 13:20:57
Actually, waving in front of the phone doesn't work very reliable for me, I have to wave pretty near by the sensor for the detection to work, so I ended up touching the front of the phone where the sensor is located much like pressing an "invisible" button.
@zossebart - my exact experience, the Xperia sensor only works over short distance, so I have to hold (not just wave) the top/left of phone, but like you end up "tapping" some Locus button along top of screen, so end up with some other screen displayed instead of main map. I prefer Locus full screen mode (on small screen) but if I keep non-full-screen then there is one "row" of space at top of display, and this reduces chance of a false-tap. I also experimented with moving all Locus top buttons to right side, but wastes more space. Nearly easier to stick with power button. All it would need (sounds trivial from user point of view) is for Locus to ignore all taps for short period after toggle of display state. I am also experimenting with phone in 180 degree portrait mode so IR sensor at bottom (maybe less false taps), but results in new problems (of course!).
  •  

john_percy

Point detail location not displayed on latest beta. See screenshots which are self explanatory
The first screenshot is with the beta, the second screen shot with the latest full release.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •