use Cell-ID and Wi-Fi to determine user location

Started by skrz, April 28, 2011, 12:47:44

skrz

"Focus on position" (the button in left & down corner) works only when I enable GPS.
I would like to be able to use the (not precise) position triangulated from BTS (cellular network) like in google maps.

I think this is Android feature, maybe it could be easy to implement?
  •  

Menion

yes, this is already working when you enable gps. Fast solution is: tap long click on top GPS button, press ON, and then center button. When you see green circle, this mean location from Cell-ID. When you see blue circle, it's location from gps
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

skrz

Thanks for the tip, that's faster.
  •  

golgot

Hi,

Long time ago, I was wondering why GPS was not fixing correctly (green circle only)

In fact, it was because GPS was activated on Locus but not on the Android system (unfortunately, I cannot see if GPS is working in full screen mode).
I think it's a little confusing for people to see "GPS enable" if it only enable GSM Cell id positionning.

I think it will be better to restrict the use of the word GPS only if GPS is really enable.

I think that it can be more user friendly if
 - circle is always dispayed (green or blue depending if gps is fixing or not)
 - gps is really enable (on both android and Locus) when you enable it

But it is maybe difficult to implement (now that I'm familliar with that, it's really not a problem for me, but I think it can help locus newbies)
  •  

Menion

problem is that i was some time before, check if gps is enabled in system also. But this cache cause many troubles for me, because on some system, this do not return correct values and also some users use only BT GPS and not internal, so I stayed with this system. Checking if GPS ON button enabled also system GPS or not is not so simple for. I have search for some solution in future (there surely exist any) :).

Idea with permanent green circle is nice, but there is problem with some already working features, like guiding, sorting, etc. which use actual map center or gps if enabled. With this, it will always use gps and I'm worried this will cause some troubles for me with functions that already works fine.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

golgot

Hum, i think I've the answer to : "But it is maybe difficult to implement?"  :?

But maybe it can be easier to understand just by changing labels ("positionning" instead of "GPS" for example) with an explication ("This will use your GPS if enable on Android, or Cell-id if not") 'or something like that when you long press [s:3j3m3q5u]gps[/s:3j3m3q5u] positionning button ?

But as I've said, it's really not a problem when you're familiar with that.
  •