Last GPS fix - Always empty

Started by KnightAzul, August 12, 2016, 17:23:33

KnightAzul

Hi,

After starting the Locus app the last GPS fix field (on the GPS screen) is always empty. This is even after exiting out of the app with a successful GPS fix, just for a few seconds, and then opening it again. It would be better to remember the last GPS fix on exiting the app, and use this on starting the app again?

The result right now is that every time that I go into the Locus app and ask for a GPS fix (icon at the bottom left) it moves the map to the same position (no idea why that same position in particular - I don't remember ever setting this position as being something special - but I guess corresponds to an empty last GPS fix field), no where near where I am, until it gets a GPS fix.

I have the latest Pro version 3.18.6 from Google Play installed.

Thanks for any help!
KnightAzul
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: KnightAzul on August 12, 2016, 17:23:33
Hi,

After starting the Locus app the last GPS fix field (on the GPS screen) is always empty. This is even after exiting out of the app with a successful GPS fix, just for a few seconds, and then opening it again. It would be better to remember the last GPS fix on exiting the app, and use this on starting the app again?

The result right now is that every time that I go into the Locus app and ask for a GPS fix (icon at the bottom left) it moves the map to the same position (no idea why that same position in particular - I don't remember ever setting this position as being something special - but I guess corresponds to an empty last GPS fix field), no where near where I am, until it gets a GPS fix.

I have the latest Pro version 3.18.6 from Google Play installed.

Thanks for any help!
KnightAzul
If no app can have a gps fix not only locus I think we have the same issue.
IMHO it's due to the last update of Google play services, unistall it and update it you will have the fix.
But it is temporary, the issue will be back, I am waiting for an update of Google.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Menion

Good day guys,
@lor74cas, if this is really truth, then it's really useful information, thank You! Is there any bug report on Android Google code site?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

lor74cas

No it is just my attempt to solve the issue but all things I tested confirm this.
To avoid the download from the play store I use titanium backup so I can solve also when there is no data connection with the stored backup of Google play services.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

KnightAzul

Hi,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself so well. I can get a GPS fix (in Locus and other apps), it takes a few seconds as always. But...

My problems are:

* After starting the Locus app the last GPS fix field (on the GPS screen) is always empty. Even if I got a GPX fix in Locus a few moments before. It is like exiting out of Locus means that it forgets any previous GPS fixes.

* On starting the Locus app and clicking the icon at the bottom left to get a GPS fix, while Locus is trying to get a GPS fix, the map is always moved to the same position (no idea why that same position in particular - I don't remember ever setting this position as being something special) no where near where I am, until it gets a GPS fix.

The second problem is the one which affects me most.

Regards,
KnightAzul
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: KnightAzul on August 19, 2016, 16:38:08
* On starting the Locus app and clicking the icon at the bottom left to get a GPS fix, while Locus is trying to get a GPS fix, the map is always moved to the same position (no idea why that same position in particular - I don't remember ever setting this position as being something special) no where near where I am, until it gets a GPS fix.
@menion recall this issue by KnightAzul has been seen before, for me at least the map used to be positioned to (0, 0) before a valid GPS fix occurred but you made some changes & I have not had problems like this for many many months.
LM4.23.1 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Hello,
Locus do not remember last position. It may be quite outdated in case, user won't use Locus Map for a longer time. Instead Locus has function called "getLastKnownLocation" that tries to obtain location that system cached. Usually it is a location from network services (wi-fi, BTS, ...), sometimes it may be from GPS as well. Such network location is almost always more fresh then some internal cached value.

Why anyway Locus starts you on some weird place, I have no idea. It has to be some cached location in your device. Did you tried for example Google Maps, are they starting on same weird place for you?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

KnightAzul

Hi,

I also deinstalled Locus and then reinstalled and it still went back to that very same map position while Locus was trying to get a GPS fix. Like you say, it looks like the system function "getLastKnownLocation" is returning some weird cached value for some reason.

I installed some other map apps. I removed Google Maps a long time ago :)
And by doing this is it somehow seemed to reset the cache for "getLastKnownLocation" and now it seems to be working fine again.

I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens again!

Thanks,
KnightAzul
  •