[APP] - version 1.6.x

Started by Menion, April 22, 2011, 13:46:04

Menion

27.4.2011 - Locus 1.6.1.1,2,7

EDIT:after few hours of testing probably works now. Can anyone test WMS service and let me know? Count that this is really for testing!

I'm sure you all ask, what menion do for a such long time without any testing version ... OK, here is it! (valid till 7.4.2011 as Pro)!
  • added BETA support for WMS services! finally!! Some info and restrictions
    • new TAB on map manager screen
    • currently only works on Online maps (or use Blank map if you want to see WMS without background)
    • check right checkbox, which load WMS layer. Then you can set all layers to display
    • count that layers are available only on some zooms so when you get no error when enabling, try to zoom out/in to see WMS layer
    • currently only supported SRS is EPSG:4326!
    • layers I already tested: - http://wms.cuzk.cz/wms.asp, http://onegeo.geology.cz/geoserver/wms
    • check this: http://www.mapmatters.org/ - very nice web page
  • rewrote path compute style. Try to create new track and compute path on it. Also is very nice when you move with some middle point on already computed path ;)
  • enabled My Maps (again for a while). I'm still not sure for release this, mainly because some unsolved problem on 2.1. Maybe I should release this only for 2.2? What you think 2.2 guys? Any problems on it?
  • So test test, I need feeeeeedback ... my preccccious :)

25.4.2011 - Locus 1.6.1
  • new Free and Pro version released on market

22.4.2011 - Locus 1.6.0
  • new Free and Pro version released on market
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

hmm I was for a while thinking a little about Locus features ...

... and I discovered interesting way how I develop things to Locus. I always create some basic part of whole function. Something that works, but isn't perfect. Then I release it and wait for reaction. If no one tell me about some problems or requests, result lay as was created and almost nothing more happed (if I personally am not interested in extending). But if someone still kicking me and bobmarding me with some bugs and ideas, I'm very glad for this and function became almost perfect. Like actual state of POI alert service. I think very nice, same with downloading only around POIs (new feature after half day work). Czech fanatic geocachers talk about it for so long, then I created it. same with track record or track handling and more and more ...

And what I wanted to say? Don't worry and write here everything what you find interesting. There is chance, that idea will get lost, but if few people refresh sometimes this idea (or creator personally), I'm sure I'll find some time to do something with this :) ... uff that's all ... enjoy new version!
  •  

svartbjorn

Hi Menion!
What makes Locus so unique, is the fact the the developer (you) is so responsive to user's requests and questions. This is why Locus has become an application that blows away any competitor. I discovered Locus March 4, and look at what improvements have happened to Locus during only these last 7 weeks! I have other apps where I have emailed the developer and asked for just a small change, e.g. a web browser where I suggested to change the text color in unselected tab headers simply to make them readable. The response I got was that they would look at that. That is 3 months ago, and nothing has happened! And that was just a request to change a font color! I just gave up. You and Locus are a different planet. Extremely responsive and interested in user feedback. And look what we got!

I worries me that it took me a long time to discover Locus on Android Market. I am pretty sure I had been through all map apps on the market and was about to give up to find a really good app that supported offline maps, track creation, track logs and some other basic features, when I happened to find Locus. Are there more labels you could attach to Locus so people easier will discover it when searching the market? Any other ways you could advertise Locus?

Keep up the excellent work, Menion!
  •  

berkley

@svartbjorn
I know, some more Public Relation would be really good for Locus, as it is ready for the really bright mass of people!
Well about PR... I'm doing best I can to keep the Locus thread on XDA up to date. I found out, that downlaods were exploding, when someone writes a review on an international well visited sites. Referring to the reviews from TheRomMisstress and from Anrogoid.com. Next logical step would be a review on Androidpit.com. But they take 150 € for a review... :(

@menion
I know you have some free days... 'though i'd like to say here, that there is a very small bug in GPS view screen. I can definatly reproduce it.
- Open GPS page from top panel
- hit hardware menu button
- click "GPS"
=> it first opens the "Sensors" setting page before the "GPS" settings page.
Beside that... Great release again!!!

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

marlar

Svartbjorn, it was the same with me. I tried several apps before finally buying Maverick. At that time that seemed to be the best. Then a few days later I discovered Locus and I can't really remember how. I found it very promising initially but still preferred Maverick. However, that only lasted a week or so, because of the great work of Menion. And now Locus has certainly outgrown Maverick, it really doesn't compare anymore!

So yes, what can we do to promote Locus better? I really want this to be a success for Menion so he will continue spending so much time on it - and because he deserves it;-)
  •  

berkley

Really nice... Instead of discussing how to find bugs and make Locus even better, we*re now discussing how to become Locus more famous. :P
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

svartbjorn

Test results of release Pro 1.6.0:
---------------------------------------

- GPS elevation error: the GPS filter that I understand was introduced in version 1.6.0 completely screwed up the altitude. I ran Locus, GPS Status, and MyTracks at the same time to verify the results. I parked the car at elevation 890m according to MyTracks. GPS Status showed 840m. Locus Pro 1.6.0 reported 187m. From the parking lot I hiked to the top of the top of the mountain. MyTracks reported 1700m, GPS Status reported 1650m, Locus reported 341m. On my way down I switched to Locus Free 1.5.1. I checked the reported elevation at several points: Locus Free 1.5.1 and MyTracks always reported exactly the same elevation, and both consistently 50m higher than GPS Status. I know that there is a Settings/GPS/"Adjust Altitude" in Locus that I can use for calibration, so I use that now.

- Phone hangs while recording: earlier on this trip I used Pro 1.5.2.2 a lot at the same time as Co-Pilot. I had one incidence of hangs, but I have no proof that is because of Locus. On my hiking up to the mountain today (see above), I had no incidences of hang even though Pro 1.6.0 was running at the same time as MyTracks. However, on my way down with Free 1.5.1 and MyTracks, the phone hang completely 3 times within one hour and I had to take out the battery. Question: are there any changes from 1.5.1 to 1.6.0 that could explain this? Having two GPS programs running at the same time, can that cause any trouble?

- Sorting tracks by creation date doesn't apply to MyTracks: the sorting works perfectly for Locus tracks (I have reported this before). However MyTracks tracks are always listed with the newest at the bottom, and the Reverse command has no effect on those.
  •  

berkley

Hi,
can confirm wrong altitude. I live at 440 meter above sea level. Locus tells me, it is 90 meters. If I were that close, I'd like to go to the sea ;)

Running Locus and MyTracks at the same time works for me. Also for several hours and with several other apps in use. Just be sure to have task manager and don't let it close Locus or MyTracks.

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Quote from: "svartbjorn"Test results of release Pro 1.6.0:
---------------------------------------
.. .

thanks, altitude fixed. Stupid mistake. Other thinks improved a little so I'll release new version with some fixs today probably ...
  •  

jofre

To Svartbjorn->

This is hardware fault of htc desire, motherboard is overheating after few months of heavy use (wifi,gps). I have my phone in htc service for that fault. Nothing to do with locus. Sorry
  •  

Menion

fine, 1.6.1 with some fixs and improvements is out ...

EDIT: I also rewrote description of application. This is by me, what can change a lot. Same decription is also on homepage now. So if anyway have some free time, you should check this. If you have some tips to improve, tell me. Thanks
  •  

MaleSmurf

I just tested the new 1.6.1 and noticed something strange...
I have a part of a map saved for offline use. When I move this map now, it's a bit choppy. But moving the same part online is very smooth (except when loading missing tiles of course). Is in the new version something different?
  •  

Menion

hmm weird. May you test and describe it more precisely? Also if someone have similar problem. When I enabled Online maps, cache some area and then switch to offline maps (quickly by "Quick switch" panel), then all works fine and as I expect. ..
  •  

svartbjorn

Version 1.6.1:
- MyTrack tracks are now sorted correctly according to criteria. Thanks.
- Altitude verified and correct now. Thanks.
- I have no map issues as MaleSurf reports.
  •  

MaleSmurf

Hmm... it's quite different whether I move the saved map from my SD-card or the cached online map. The online map moves very smooth but the saved map a bit choppy... Is the cached map on SD-card too? I think so... Really wired...
  •