Locus as a service

Started by Christian, May 12, 2016, 20:24:49

Christian

Locus is installed internally, most maps are on SD card. Locus is set to "as a service"
Yesterday during a bike ride my SD card lost contact to phone. After fiddling and reboot i got red toasts with message "Problem mit Verzeichnis "backup/" means "problem with directory backup/". Another message regarding dir "export/".

SD card (and pathes) are broken hence the messages are right.
So i guess that Locus service is running night and day even if Locus is NOT used.
@menion, can you please confirm this?
If so i would like to ASK to change this behavior to let run the service only if a part of Locus is active. I got problems with battery drain...

Another question:
After losing all my maps on SD card i got white background with a colored track. Not funny.
Why did not Locus switch to the map left in internal memory?
Pathes to several map directory was set correctly.
  •  

michaelbechtold

I cannot comment on the code of Locus, but I do monitor processes and battery drain closely (3c toolset).
Once I close Locus, or after reboot, there is no Locus process left. No battery drain on my device.
Cheers
Michael
  •  

Menion

Hello,
"Locus as a service" is started right after main map screen is initialized and it's ended with proper terminating of Locus. Nothing like permanently running service do not exists in Locus. Battery usage is saint for me in all cases.

You are asking why Locus did not switch to any internal map when some external maps from SD card were lost by accident? Well, on such cases is not Locus ready. It like when you work with MS Word and you delete a file your are currently working on with some file browser. Do you expect that Word switch to any from your previously used files? Hmm don't know, but I don't :). It's just quite rare situation and I wish you to never happen again!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

mmmmh.... what starts the red toast after reebot _before_ using Locus?

For a short moment a old online Kompass map appeared which was saved internally. I was really convinced that there is an automatic map switch.
Mystic...
  •  

Menion

Explanation will be quite simple here. At start of a device ( a while after start ), Locus starts small check on "Automatic backup". Before this small check, main core of Locus needs to be initialized and in this moment, Locus also validate it's root folder and defined directories. So if there is a problem, you will get notification here. Anyway if there is no automatic backup defined, no more action happen. Otherwise Locus register in system small "service" that wake up device in defined time to perform backup. But nothing like "permanently running Locus" exists here, really.

In all cases, best is to use some method as @michaelbechtold wrote - some more precise CPU/battery monitor. Because even if any app may be in memory, it do not mean that it consume some CPU/battery. There is a quite huge difference. On device with huge number of RAM, there may be tenth of apps that sit in memory and do nothing and it's really not a problem (if they really do "nothing"). They are there just because system had no serious need to remove them (which usually happen when system needs more free RAM).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

Thanks for explanation.
  •