GPSies: Number of results locked on 15

Started by Stubbikiller, April 03, 2016, 08:39:43

Stubbikiller

Hello,

I use the tool GPSies in my Locus Map Pro. I noticed, that when i look for a hiking route, GPSies gives me just fifteen results, doesn't matter what radius around my location i use.
I seems to show me the first fifteen nearest results.
Is it possible to change this value to a custom number, or to completly deactivate this limitation?
  •  

Menion

Good day,
if I remember correctly from my communication with developer of GPSies Klaus, he do not have any existing system for "paging" of results. I also see in code, that limit is even set to 25, not 15! But GPSies server returns only 15 results. So I'm worried, for now I cannot help here.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Stubbikiller

Thank you for your quick response. Too bad to hear that , because then the search doesn't bring too much , especially in our area where are hundreds of hiking trails within 50km .
  •  

Christian

Hi @menion,
Is there any progress regarding display  more than 15 tracks?
  •  

Menion

•  

Christian

Sad.
I have hundreds of tracks - created by Brouter - waiting for publishing. It seemed that cooperation of Locus, Brouter and Gpsies within Locus is the best way for managing those tracks. But a limit of 15 (!) tracks, no description in preview is not worthy considering Gpsies as my favorite gps portal. So integration in Locus is quite useless for me. Still miss the last 5% in developement to make it perfect.
So i will look for another gps portal to handle my tracks properly.
Sad for Locus also :(
But voted. Obviously i still believe in pseudo-democratic tools.
  •  

Menion

Weird such reactions.
During last month I've added support for direct import and also this idea : http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/gpsies-additional-track-description which had a lot more votes, then searching for extra tracks. Btw. currently in code is limit to 25 tracks, no 15, not sure why it returns only 15 tracks ...

And last note .. voting system on help desk is not really democratic. It serve main purpose ... improve and modify my internal-head list of priorities. As well as this forum, as well as all discussions I have with users. I'm trying to implement most wanted ideas, but not always it's so simple. In this case, it is more complicated, as GPSies do not support paging so it is always needed to request defined number of tracks since first. So I cannot request tracks 15 - 30, then after press of button 31 - 45 etc. I always needs to load them all, so 1 - 30, 1 - 45 etc. And because I wanted to be kind to GPSies server, I've for now not yet implemented it ...

•  

Christian

Dear menion,
My post is a slight hint that i miss almost the 5%. Like in guidance (computed nav points, sounds), Brouter integration or Gpsies service within Locus and others.
My imagination of development is if i create a function or module than it has to cover _all_ requirements and provides all possible information. When i create a function like Gpsies integration and publish it and this provides much less information (less tracks, no description) than the source - my work is not ready and some users will be disappointed. May be the requirements were wrong or i forgot some parts or my working structure has to be improved...

It is boring to get a new function in Locus and have to post "basic requirements" afterwards on helpdesk. (Here: to print all information on screen from the array you get from Gpsies). The linked post is a requirement of balloni from one year ago. So its obviously that your working list for one function is stretched over a year.

In this thread it is written why you get only 15 tracks. This problem is known since a couple of month. If you don't want to solve it - please write it here, so the expectations will stop. But i don't want to read "...kind ... to servers"...

May be i am wrong in my expectations but thats like the germans would do: if you do it - do it perfect.

I call it pseudo-democratic because i have heard to often "I will keep in mind", "I will think about it" and "users decide about next funktions", nothing happened and than I see new functions in Locus with 5 votes or even without any user requests.

Greetings from a disappointed user.

•  

Menion

Hello Christian,
thanks for explanation.

If I think for a while, I can't imagine single function, where I should say "yes, it's done on 100% as I want" and also "yes, this is how 100% of users wants it".

Since begin I work on Locus, almost six years now, I always do functions on +-50%. They are usable, working in the field, but not perfect. Based on users feedback, based on reported bugs, based on own usage, I improve it.

It's same with GPSies, sorry. Interest is average so it do not have high priority. And functions with less votes or no requests - yep, that's why I wrote, help desk is not democratic system.
  •