[APP] - version 3.16.x (14. 3. 2016+)

Started by Menion, March 14, 2016, 13:54:02

gynta

michaelbechtold

I do no longer find a way to select the overlay map. Any idea ?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

gynta

michaelbechtold

Sure I did that. Then I see the last one I used. In earlier versions you could simply go to Select and use another one. This is gone. Instead I have two layer panels showing the same,  while the master layer panel is gone. Can anybody explain the benefit of those new panels ?? Map space: reduced and spoit. Ease and effectiveness of use: history. The functions Menion has added are cool. The way they are organized and accessible is a disaster.  Conceptually and practically.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

gynta

V 3.16.2.12
Overlay map:
FC while moving transparency slider

and yes...
...same base and overlay map make no sense :)

gynta

Quote from: michaelbechtold on May 11, 2016, 22:10:04
The way they are organized and accessible is a disaster.  Conceptually and practically.
please be fair - it's a beta  ;)

michaelbechtold

The missing selection of Overlay Maps, the double/missing item in the panel array - granted. I am happy to report those flaws without emotions.
The problem is: even if there were zero errors, the usability is down the toilet, because the concept sucks.
As I said: very useful new functions, but totally convoluted UI concept.
  •  

Menion

Nice bunch of comments, thanks :)

@gynta: POI on/off works. What you see on a map is considered to be a custom selection of permanently visible points on a map. I here just disable extra clickable points placed over points in map itself. I mean points you see on a vector map! just when you move. So better name should be something like "Active points in vector map".

@0709: nice image. Double information at top are probably caused by some overinformating of your overcustomized GPX/TCX files, isn't it?

Moving panels before dashboard after double tap is unfortunately technically not possible. Order of panels & dashboard needs to be now defined in app by default. Better to setup resize of dashboard by bottom panel, this should solve it.

@balloni55: problem with transparency - thanks, it's possible. I've improved these transparency sliders so this may cause any issue, consider it as fixed. Issue #149 - just ignore "T:" values ... I've not yet decided what text use, so I use own temporary texts that are not published on crowdin. Surprise you do not know yet after all these years :).

@michaelbechtold: to select overlay, you first needs to remove previous. Are there really needed two buttons - change, remove? Isn't this one enough? About which "same panels" you told? Screen is exactly same instead of two buttons add, delete, there is just one now and one toggle button that allows to disable overlay without need to remove map first. Rest remains same. Easy and effectiveness is history?? Well, your opinion. I see no difference in "Map Overlay" function except mentioned buttons. And side panel? I see no difference in usage of Locus thanks to new side panel either. You still may place required quickly accessible "map switch" and "map themes" on a side like before.

Oki, so few more questions on you (please, short, clear answers):
- "double/missing item i the panel array" - what you are talking about?
- "usability" - what is a problem here as no usability is lost. I still do not understand a problem here, at least I do not see it.

gynta wrote that is is a Beta - correct. But to be true, I'm quite satisfied with solution of "Map content" panel. Only major change wants to do, is moving of "Db POI" screen here also and opening main screen always (so do not remember last visible panel). Anyway discussion and opinions are more then welcome, but please - constructive. We have a deal with Petr who critics almost everything I do - "critics is possible, but always bring at least one better solution".
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on May 12, 2016, 08:40:39
@gynta: POI on/off works. What you see on a map is considered to be a custom selection of permanently visible points on a map. I here just disable extra clickable points placed over points in map itself. I mean points you see on a vector map!
?? but by tapping on this line "Points of interest" - Locus switch to the "POIdb" selector.
So I expected that these points be enabled/hidden.
hmm Where is the(my) misunderstanding?

What about the FC with overlay map?

Menion

@gynta: I think that problem is more on my side, how I decided to do this function. I understand what you expect, but for now ... consider colored bigger points placed on map with "eye" button as separate temporary points. Button that turn on/off POI db really works just on automatically loaded points from database.

And overlay .. ah thanks, I've forget. For my own surprise, I'm unable to simulate it. May you please create a log for me? Thank you!

@0709: heh. In your case, I never know if you use some basic GPX or some highly customized GPX file :). Attach me here please your file, because if there is no custom Locus tags, I'm surprised you see such texts at top of screen. Thanks
  •  

balloni55

Geocaching Tools/Draw circles
after click on "Location select button" locus freeze and stop after some time
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

gynta

...just ignore "T:" values... ...Surprise you do not know yet after all these years :)
Think we know - but sometimes you forget  ;D

michaelbechtold

It's be a long and heavy working day ... now let me go through your comments and questions:

@michaelbechtold: to select overlay, you first needs to remove previous. Are there really needed two buttons - change, remove? Isn't this one enough?
MBe: I did not try remove, because I could not trust I get overlay back :-) Now I tried via remove and it works - thank you - here a second click (which is the trade-off ...) is not too much of an annoyance.
The switch overlay off option is a nice addition indeed.

...see at the bottom for remarks about the middle section of your reply.

QuoteOki, so few more questions on you (please, short, clear answers):
- "double/missing item i the panel array" - what you are talking about?
MBe: on the left side there are those oversized blue buttons. Two of them have the same symbol - the layers. And both show the same content. In the earlier beta, one of them showed showed the overview, incl. your explanation text, and the other showed the visibility switches. Now both show the switches.

Quote- "usability" - what is a problem here as no usability is lost. I still do not understand a problem here, at least I do not see it.
MBe: maybe I did not explore all angles. A standard principle is: useful functions should be allowed to sit on the screen (auto and double tap hiding assumed, of couse), but not need traversing option/menu trees. Yes, overlays can be put on a button still, which safes the day, hence it is redundant in the other menu. But the real topic is another one: a new concept has its justification if it is better than the existing ones. And you have a perfect mechanics in place with the button panels. Content and button position inside the panel: all in user hands. Visibility mechanics - perfect.
And now compare those new blue beasts ...
Screen space is valuable - oversized buttons like the blue ones are a simple waste, no added value.

You refer to your rule with Petr: others and I have made proposals how to improve these things ... days ago.

So, here again:
- rather than introducing a new, oversized category of buttons, use the existing mechanics and extend it to the left side.
- all of those new functions (nearest points, Panoramio, overlay on/off, OSM notes, etc.), which are really nice, BTW, should be available to be put on any panel
- as you accept redundancy anyway, you can offer the menu hierarchy in the blue master button as a button for the standard panel, of course
- offering a left side panel will simply cope with the increased number of interesting things a user may want to have on the screen

Makes sense ?

Cheers
Michael
  •  

Andrew Heard

+1 = I totally agree with Michael on his "usability" comment.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: 0709

Menion

Quote from: michaelbechtold on May 12, 2016, 20:49:07
MBe: maybe I did not explore all angles. A standard principle is: useful functions should be allowed to sit on the screen (auto and double tap hiding assumed, of couse), but not need traversing option/menu trees. Yes, overlays can be put on a button still, which safes the day, hence it is redundant in the other menu. But the real topic is another one: a new concept has its justification if it is better than the existing ones. And you have a perfect mechanics in place with the button panels. Content and button position inside the panel: all in user hands. Visibility mechanics - perfect.
And now compare those new blue beasts ...
Screen space is valuable - oversized buttons like the blue ones are a simple waste, no added value.

Hello Michale, thanks for explanation. Let me ask one more thing.

In current published version of Locus:
- "Quick map switch" button in top left corner has same style as right panel, but is not modificable and it out of control from hiding by double tap
- "Map theme switcher" - already working as big blue beast on left. Btw why "big"? They are thinner and longer - covered are is same as other buttons
- "Active items" - already working as ...

All these three buttons are already in 3.12.0 version and there were no complain. All these three buttons are out of current system of top-right panel. All these three buttons handle style and content of a map. And because I wanted to create system of "Layers" and system of "Nearest points", for me it's logical step to place them also to left side next to these three buttons. But because of number buttons should be too much, side panel with "map content" (first bottom button) there will collect all these functions and that allows to add option to quickly handle any of them if needed, is quite logical step - all "Map content" at once place easily accessible without need to fiddle with right panel system.

Thanks for an opinions, I'll discuss it with rest of team.

About "same content on two buttons" - first one at bottom is main and it's open should always lead to main map content (it do not work it now). So just open bottom button and use arrow in top left corner to get to main menu.

@balloni55 & @0709 , thanks, I'll check it
@gynta: well, you are right. I also sometimes forget :).
  •