Live tracking service - let's start

Started by Menion, February 11, 2016, 17:46:31

Menion

Hello guys,

we have finally moved a little bit and today, I've just released version of Locus with enabled really simple version of Live tracking feature.

Current features (Locus 3.15.3.1+):
- sharing current location in defined refresh interval. Ability to define icon, name and message
- display of other active users on a map as long, as you actively report own location

Features planned (in chronological order):
- ability to select from pre-defined "rooms" (public), where you location may be visible
- ability to create own rooms (private) and define who may enter
- some really simple web page with map and active users
- permanent storing of your report locations, something like track recording stored on server
- ability to see your history of already "recorded" tracks

For now, we do not need feedback with requests of a new features. Own plans are already defined. When feature became working as we wants, then we may discuss about another improvements. For now, just try it if you wants and enjoy ;). We wants to use such testing also to check stability and performance of our server-side solution. Bug reports are anyway welcome of course.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

Well, be sure - I'm your man for testing this long awaited feature  ;)
Thx for the first steps!

Menion

You are the last who should thanks and I'm first who should thank you (again). For a nice service you created. After install, you will see that there is simple option how to add "GPSies" as Live tracking service. If you will wants to keep your service alive and public, feel free to write me and I'll add it into this list as well.
  •  

Andrew Heard

A) The text in top/right corner is too small/ hard to read - it says Stop when I zoom in.
B) I tried to type "AH" into nickname field but got error message that text was too short - but isn't that the idea of a nickname?

LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on February 11, 2016, 17:46:31
Current features (Locus 3.15.3.1+):
- display of other active users on a map as long, as you actively report own location
pardon? how?

where is the stop icon? see:
http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/add-a-stop-button-to-the-live-tracking-notification

Quote from: menion on February 11, 2016, 18:17:39
...If you will wants to keep your service alive and public, feel free to write me and I'll add it into this list as well.
sounds good. predefined settings are better then a helppage :)

Menion

@Andrew: hmm I've set nickname to be at least 4 characters. Maybe I should think about 2, done :)

And I'm aware that start/stop of live tracking service should be improved, thanks anyway

@gynta: I saw you on the map. Try it now. Looks like me and Michal, we are both visible now ;)

"Stop" button ... only when notification is first, then extra buttons are visible. I still found not way how to display them also when notification is second or lower.

•  

gynta

Quote from: menion on February 11, 2016, 22:56:12
@gynta: I saw you on the map. Try it now. Looks like me and Michal, we are both visible now ;)

hmpf  ;D

Quote"Stop" button ... only when notification is first, then extra buttons are visible. I still found not way how to display them also when notification is second or lower.
confirmed, it works only in this case

Fifi

•  

michaelbechtold

Not much testing I see this morning, except fifi (from New Caledonia!), and Menion (the home of Locus) ...

@balloni55: how did you manage to keep your position in the middle of Stuttgarter Kreuz for half an hour at least ?
zossebart I could see moving from a village to a shelter in a forest
  •  

balloni55

Quote@balloni55: how did you manage to keep your position in the middle of Stuttgarter Kreuz for half an hour at least ?
mega traffic jam :P ;)
no no, in this case i have locus running on PC inside VM and additional "Fake GPS"

i also see zossebart moving, i think he is on bike

EDIT: @ Michael, do you have two tracker running on same device? MBe7000 and MBe9500
EDIT2: now i see, tracker is on two devices running
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

michaelbechtold

yes,  for testing I used 2 devices
fake GPS sounds interesting to me ! is that an app in VM?
  •  

balloni55

yes, i use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps&hl=de
inside VM.
It´s simple, work with OSM maps, all others i found need installed Googlemaps on VM and this didnt work for me
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

zossebart

Yea right, tested it today on a bike trip. I had the update interval set to 60s. I also saw menion sitting in his office, balloni and 2x MBexxx.
It seemed to work quite well, at least from what I could tell while on the bike.
  •  

Menion

We saw you too, thanks for tests ;). (and not office, but home in Brandýs nad Labem).
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: balloni55 on February 13, 2016, 14:12:50
yes, i use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lexa.fakegps&hl=de
inside VM.
It´s simple, work with OSM maps, all others i found need installed Googlemaps on VM and this didnt work for me

Hi balloni55,
I wondered why my VM is not visible, now I see that it does not provide GPS at all to be spoofed ...

Which Android VM are you using ?

TXs and cheers
Michael
  •