Locus 2016 - community feature requests

Started by fzk, December 21, 2015, 09:20:35

fzk

I would like to start this thread in order to get feedback for questions like:

- What features do we expect from Locus in the near future?
- How important is it to have a variety of maps and themes?
- What has to be done to achieve this?

Who should participate in the discussion? IMHO these are all map builders, theme designers, locus power users (e.g. locus moderators), the Locus development team and everyone who wants that locus has a bright future.

Cheers Klaus

PS: This is a follow-up thread from a discussion in the german section of the forum.
  •  

fzk

And these are the features I would like to see in 2016:

- full compatibility with themes version 4
- native drawing support (no magnification) for high density devices

Klaus
  •  

Menion

Nice topic. I'll write some information about what I would like to do this year, oki?

So current tasks in progress:
- live-tracking service (work with 3rd party developer, looks promising so I really hope that till end of Jan. should be some beta version)
- offline geocoding/reverse geocoding - Petr is already working on this for three months and seems we are almost finished. Uff, hard work. Also I hope till end of Jan, some Beta version

Must-have planned things:
- right after this geocoding will be mostly ready, I need to start work on Offline POI db
- because of new troubles with MapQuest, we needs to do something with routing (MapQuest routing will be probably removed in the first half of 2016), so some deeper integration of BRouter or GraphHopper
- increasing content in our Store for some other maps, trails etc.
- I'm really thinking about some "community system" for sharing calibrated KMZ overlay maps directly in Locus

- well and in my case, work on Locus GIS, which deserve my time

Question about MapsForge maps - well I can imagine, that it should take around 15 days of work, to dig deeper into current system and as with older version V3 - modify code with similar changes I already did. Optimize new version looks for me as best possible solution in case, we will wants to do something with this. Anyway this may start no sooner, then "in-progress" tasks will be done. Just my two cents ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

fzk

FYI: The current version Oruxmaps 6.5 has full support for V4 themes. For me V1 themes are now legacy.

Klaus
  •  

milh

Quote from: menion on December 21, 2015, 10:46:32
- because of new troubles with MapQuest, we needs to do something with routing (MapQuest routing will be probably removed in the first half of 2016), so some deeper integration of BRouter or GraphHopper

See here . Today we're excited to introduce a Waze Transport SDK (software development kit) which will allow partners to easily implement some of Waze's most useful features, natively in their own apps.

May be it is solution.
  •