Overlap of altitude profiles for route alternatives

Started by fluorescein, June 29, 2015, 17:56:55

fluorescein

I'd prefer to look earlier for a specific route (with a customized brx profile) how steep a specific section of the route is.

To compare several route alternatives I can either take a snapshot of every altitude profile and compare these pictures at the same time.

Is it possible by now or for a future development of Locus pro to overlap the altitude profiles for several different routes?
  •  

chbla

•  

michaelbechtold

100% agree. You will issue a feature request ?
  •  

KaHeMu

Hi flourescein,

Here http://help.locusmap.eu/, at Locus help desk, is the best place vor ideas and collect votes for.

Regards,
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Andrew Heard

LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

KaHeMu

Link is in last post. At Help Desk you can open new idea post and request for votes.
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Menion

Guys, sorry to say this, but I have no idea, how it from technical and UI point of view, should look like. More charts on one small screen at once? And how to compare it? Just overlay one over another? Hmm ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

It would be a graph with distance on x axis, and the elevation curves in different colors against the y axis.
And from a UI perspective I can imagine that in the tracks and the items tabs the user can select the tracks to be presented.
So Locus is not responsible if the selction makes sense or not. Keeping it simple for you. And flexible for the user.
The distance scale is defined by the longest track in question.
Needs one more feature though: we cannot expect that any two tracks are so much in synch that a point to point comparison based on distance to start makes any sense.
So a means is needed to define a point on each track and "associate" all of them as "identical" on x axis.
Example (an anomaly nobody would do, but it illustrates perfectly the tooling needed):
Track 1 is 20 km long, track 2 is cut out of track 1, startig at km 5, to km 15.
You select both for combined viewing.
If you "associate" the 5-km-point of track with with the 10-km-point of track one, track 2 shifts horizontally and you will see only one line (with color mix for the length of track 2).
Any real life situation can be handled with above mechanics.
Makes sense ?
  •  

Menion

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

•  

KaHeMu

•  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: michaelbechtold on July 02, 2015, 11:33:23
So a means is needed to define a point on each track and "associate" all of them as "identical" on x axis.
Example (an anomaly nobody would do, but it illustrates perfectly the tooling needed):
@michaelbechtold you suggest to adjust the horizontal offset of each track chart based on 1st identical (if found) lat/lon - nice idea but I guess not most likely user scenario? And if no shared lat/lon (3 different tracks say) I guess each track is simply drawn on graph starting at x=0 - is this the generic solution?
My user-case is to create a number of tracks between 1st and last point using different BRouter profiles and then compare the elevation charts. So same 1st/last point but different route/distance. I was doing this just yesterday!
BTW is it better to discuss here or in help topic?
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

michaelbechtold

Your use case is the default case for my proposal.
If start and end points of all tracks are identical, then the start setting of the graph  is the final one you need.
My proposal gives more flexibility, e.g. to compare tracks from different sources where you cannot expect exact start/end points.
  •