Mapsforge 0.5

Started by fzk, December 05, 2014, 13:48:26

Menion

It's already done ;)...  Just not yet public. It will anyway need new map (version 4+) and new theme (version 4+). Themes you probably already have, but any map for tests? Thanks

Tapatalk

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

kech61

Hi Menion

These are really good news.

Theme with priority support: http://www.openandromaps.org/wp-content/users/tobias/Elevate3_SVG.zip
With this Theme you can test scaling of SVG's too - if you want  ;)

V4 multilingual map: http://www.openandromaps.org/mapsV4/asia/israel_syria_ml.map
This is the only V4 maps so far on OpenAndroMaps
However, I can make any map you need for testing, just tell me which map you want to have.

Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

Thanks Christian, I'll look at it.

Also maybe useful info for others. I have decided to go little bit different way in the end. Since next version will be in Locus three versions of MapsForge library :).

- quite old for maps version V2
- heavily modified and optimized library for all maps V3 (LoMaps and most of current maps) that will also work with themes version 1, 2, 3, will offer auto-loading and work with LoMaps Poi DB
- current unmodified version of MapsForge library (currently version 0.6, maps V4) that will work only with map themes version 4, no autoloading, no POI Db

Locus automatically decide which map renderer use by version of map.
  •  

kech61

Quote from: menion on April 11, 2016, 08:57:36

Perfect  :)
The Theme in the link is for plain Mapsforge V4 w/o any special Locus elements.

There are Mapsforge pois available from OAM too - so if you want to test those with the plain V4 renderer:
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstreetmap/openandromaps/pois/
The mapname.poi.zip are the right ones
Best regards/ Grüsse
Christian
www.openandromaps.org
  •  

Menion

Not needed, thanks. No Mapsforge POI will be supported for now, only a map.
  •  

Tobias

That's excellent news, thanks!

Quote from: menion on April 11, 2016, 08:57:36
Also by version of map theme?
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Menion

Quote from: Tobias on April 11, 2016, 13:52:46
Also by version of map theme?

Nope. You choose map, Locus check all available themes and offer only these, that has correct version. So for maps V3, only themes with version="1, 2, 3", for maps V4, themes with version="4".
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on April 11, 2016, 14:01:31So for maps V3, only themes with version="1, 2, 3", for maps V4, themes with version="4".

Hm, that's a bit strict. There's no issue in using V3 maps with V4 themes. Although the numbers differ, they aren't dependent on each other. Mapsforge 0.5 introduced V4 themes, while still producing V3 maps. It would be strange to be able to install V4 themes but not to use them, and will certainly cause support issues.

So if you install and choose a V4 theme switching to standard mapsforge would make sense to me.
  •  

Menion

I knew you won't like it, but it's only option I may offer for now, thanks for understanding.
  •  

LocusUser#1

Quote from: Tobias on April 11, 2016, 14:12:18
So if you install and choose a V4 theme switching to standard mapsforge would make sense to me.

You're right, also for me is this the only correct way to use the different themes versions
  •  

ohgood

I would like to test this if you need help
  •  

develar

Locus is the only game in town. For simple navigation maybe another apps are suitable, but if you hike with small children, or hike so actively that need to manage your tracks and display on the map, Locus is the only choice for now (I have tried a lot of apps, and bought Android smartphone specially for navigation because Locus not available for iOS).

But problem is that default theme is not so good as Elevate from @Tobias. I have tried to file issues (https://help.locusmap.eu/topic/bench-symbol-is-not-displayed-internal-hikebike-theme), but Elevate has not only minor advantages, but a major advantages also (e.g. compare presentation of cable car near Mittenwald (Germany) — Locus theme doesn't render cable car name opposite to Elevate, so, I have to guess what is this).

So, even if I buy LoMaps (to financially support Locus development), I don't use it. Because as far I understand (and I as far I experienced) for Elevate themes better to use openandromaps.

And now Tobias announced that "OpenAndroMaps will switch to Multilanguage "V4" Maps mid of 2019.". And stated that "The ony real disadvantage over V3 maps, as I know, is that Locus does not support automatic map switching with V4 maps." (because Locus will use not optimised mapsforge engine to render V4 maps). But from this topic I see that maybe will number of other issues. Or it is fixed now?

Could you please shed light on current situation? Tobias answer was a little bit pessimistic — https://www.openandromaps.org/en/locus-direct-install-link-for-multilanguage-v4-maps#comment-9569 Does it mean that you (Locus team) gave up to first class support of Elevate theme? Autoloading not important for me, I worry about battery consumption and potential rendering issues.

Menion

Hi,
do not worry, I'll do something with it ... step Tobias made is wanted to be true. I sometimes need some "push" ...

Main topic: https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6434.0
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: develar on January 03, 2019, 11:46:51
And now Tobias announced that "OpenAndroMaps will switch to Multilanguage "V4" Maps mid of 2019.".
That was Christian, not me. But of course I support this :-)
  •